Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Bay Area Bassmasters had our monthly tournament on Harris Saturday and for me, fishing was tough.

I was confident after having a great practice last week, establishing 3 different patterns that went away with an impending cold front and high wind conditions. :tbh_flag:

My most successful pattern during practice had been flipping a jig into lily pad roots in 2' of water, and on a sand bottom. In practice I was able to replicate the pattern throughout Harris on any of the same condiitons. Fish were as big as 5lbs in practice, and I suspect they were late spawners bedding on top of the roots and the trick was to keep the bait deadsticking on spot for upwards of 1 to 2 minutes, which was easy to do with no wind. Different story on Saturday and managed only 5 small fish for 6.06lbs off a single 25 yard stretch of pads.

My other 2 patterns were never a factor as the heavy wave action kept me off the offshore humps I deep cranked in practice, yielding a hefty 5lb'er on Thursday.

All in all I was pleased that I did my job in catching 5 fish though they came up short. I feel like my practice pattern accomplished that, and that's all I could ask for considering the tough weather condiitons.
 
K

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Good effort though :)

In high winds (So basically every single time I go fishing) I basically go to reaction baits and that seems to work real well for me. Worms and jigs are hard to control in high winds. Ripping lipless cranks in high winds is custom made for that sort of pattern.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
KeithsCatch said:
Good effort though :)

In high winds (So basically every single time I go fishing) I basically go to reaction baits and that seems to work real well for me. Worms and jigs are hard to control in high winds. Ripping lipless cranks in high winds is custom made for that sort of pattern.
Lipless crankbaits were my first go to bait when the winds started kicking up, but not a single thing in several different places. Harris chain has always been tough for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,082 Posts
Good job Joe!! I took off and forgot my prize package so I didn't get to try any thing but the lure tamers and they are the bomb especially with kids.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
539 Posts
imonembad said:
Good job Joe!! I took off and forgot my prize package so I didn't get to try any thing but the lure tamers and they are the bomb especially with kids.
Sorry, I got your package while i was in NC and just opened it. I agree the lure tammers look like a super design. I will test out the other items this weekend and thanks again
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,930 Posts
We will be on the Harris Chain in May. For a change we will be launching out of Hickory Point instead of Buzzard Beach.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fish4FunInFl said:
We will be on the Harris Chain in May. For a change we will be launching out of Hickory Point instead of Buzzard Beach.
Be carefull as I managed to drive my trailer off the end of the ramp, as did a couple of others. :cussin:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,930 Posts
Thanks for the heads up.
I am sure I will do quite a bit of pre-fishing , as I live about 15 miles from Hickory Point. ( sure as I am saying this everything in the world will come up and I wont get to pre-fish much lol )
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top