Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking at some jigs some of you have made and i would like to start making some myself. I tried the whole soft plastic route and didnt stick with it but i loved it. I think i would really enjoy making jigs and especially fishing with them after i make them. But i dont know what i need to get started. I have no clue. So if you could give me an idea of what i need to get started it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well you'll need a mold, lead, paint, skirts and adhesive. Now as far as the mold the obvious is to get the one you will fish, you will need the hooks and weedguards and screw locs if required. As far as the lead you'll need either a heavy pot and ladle or a lee furnace. As to the paint Most like powder paint other the dip your paint and you should have a fluid bed but it's not required it just makes for a better finish in my opinion. The skirts I bought a kit to start. I use loctite super glue gel for the weedguards I dont like casting them in I use the teflon pins they sell makes for a cleaner look plus the heat affects the guard when curing the powder paint.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Brady the start up cost can easily run you $200-$300 for the mold, hooks, lead, lead pot, paint and skirts. It takes a long time to get a jig that doesn't cost you a bundle.

My recommendation to you is to buy some prepainted heads without the weedguard installed and some skirt material.

Ted Cholor (cadman) here is a jig maker and might sell you some. If he doesn't have time then Mike Seibert at Seibertoutdoors may do it. You can drop my Jig Man handle if you want and tell which ever one that I sent you.

Look at fishingskirts.com for skirt material.

After you makes some that way then you should know if or not you want to take the plunge.
Here are some of the startup costs

Lead pot 50 and up
Powder paint 15-20 per pound
Hooks 15-50 cents each
Home made fluid bed 30-40
Toaster oven to cure paint 30
Heat gun 20
Mold 30-50 each

·
Premium Member
4,943 Posts
Jig Man said:
Brady the start up cost can easily run you $200-$300 for the mold, hooks, lead, lead pot, paint and skirts. It takes a long time to get a jig that doesn't cost you a bundle.

My recommendation to you is to buy some prepainted heads without the weedguard installed and some skirt material.

Ted Cholor (cadman) here is a jig maker and might sell you some. If he doesn't have time then Mike Seibert at Seibertoutdoors may do it. You can drop my Jig Man handle if you want and tell which ever one that I sent you.

After you makes some that way then you should know if or not you want to take the plunge.

Lead pot 50 and up
Hooks 15-50 cents each
Heat gun 20
Mold 30-50 each
Xs2 plus the cost of lead, flux and a safe place to do it with good ventilation. Several here sell their jigs and spinnerbaits. I make my own so I can get what I can't buy, it's addictive and it aint cheap.
Rodney

·
Registered
22 Posts
Jig Man said:

Lead pot 50 and up
Hooks 15-50 cents each
Heat gun 20
Mold 30-50 each
Great advice as well, this is what I did you can get bulk jigs unpainted for a good price on E- Bay.

·
Registered
64 Posts
brady,
I have all kind of tutorials I can send you to get you started. I also have a tutorial to build a fluid bed. PM me your e- mail and I will send them to you and answer all of your questions. If anyone else needs help feel free to PM me as well.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jig Man said:

Lead pot 50 and up
Hooks 15-50 cents each
Heat gun 20
Mold 30-50 each

Sounds awesome. Thanks for the advice from all of you but i think ill do as Jig man said and start small. Gotta keep my wallet as thick as possible.. Springs coming up and i gotta be able to put gas in the boat!! :thumbup01:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts