Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I have a question, if you were going to replace, or buy Treble Hooks for a Dozen or so Cranks which Treble would you buy? I know this is kinda loaded question, but what I'm asking is if you had to buy say 24 or more for the same size lure what do you reccomend or prefer. The reason I ask is there are a ton of choices from .19cents a hook to .35cents+ I know alot of fisherman wont buy, Gamakatsu and Tripple Grips, or Barbarian for the price. My question is whats your recomendation for a standard treble, in a quality hook. I have about 20+ LC 1.5 & 2.5 Cranks and want to put quality hooks on them. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks CaptainMo, great choices of hooks, top of the line. Have you had any experiaence with VMC? I was told Lucky Craft uses them on their Crank Baits, and I have several and they seem to be good hooks as well. We started a college project with my son, and man has this turned into a huge venture, I had no idea there were so many choices, models, variable, etc. Heck with some of these hooks you can add another Dollar to the cost of the lure. Thanks again, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
13,775 Posts
I replaced a bunch of my older treble hooks with VMC's a couple of winters ago. They are a "good enough" hook for the price, and I haven't really had any trouble with them, however, if you do alot of sharpening, they may not last as long as the more premium trebles that are out there.
You can get boxes of 25 for under $8 (size 4's). If you have a bunch to do, it can be a cost effective route to go. I certainly wouldn't be shy about trying them if I was you.

·
Premium Member
3,062 Posts
I like mustads ewg on the cranks I paint for the back.( Make sure they are short shanks )On the front I like to use a double hook also mustad ,plus you can go up a size on the front..

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
SoInbassman said:
OK I have a question, if you were going to replace, or buy Treble Hooks for a Dozen or so Cranks which Treble would you buy? I know this is kinda loaded question, but what I'm asking is if you had to buy say 24 or more for the same size lure what do you reccomend or prefer. The reason I ask is there are a ton of choices from .19cents a hook to .35cents+ I know alot of fisherman wont buy, Gamakatsu and Tripple Grips, or Barbarian for the price. My question is whats your recomendation for a standard treble, in a quality hook. I have about 20+ LC 1.5 & 2.5 Cranks and want to put quality hooks on them. Thanks for the advice.
Why do you want to replace the hooks that come with LC 1.5 & 2.5 RC series crank baits?
Tom

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tom the reason is I stole those hooks for the project we are doing as well as doing some experimenting LOL. Mad Science stuff, Like bending, tweaking, etc. Dont ask! I cant explain it, but some of the old timers used to do it and we needed to try it, so ole Dad ruint a few. So now I'm putting new hooks on my Cranks, also just ordered some Copies to paint, tweak, and have some fun with before it gets to cold. LOL I also heard a story about an old time tourny fisherman who used to drill holes in his cranks and add all kind of weird stuff inside to make um rattle. It's been a learning experience to say the least, but I'll be glad to just get back to fishing.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
The last time I bought a bunch of trebles for replacement, I tried some Owners for a few suspending jerkbaits.
I found them to be super-sharp and a bit heavier than what I took off.

·
Registered
13,775 Posts
Just a small reminder....Not many people have the means to weigh hooks, but the weight difference in hooks (as well as size changes) can alter the performance of some baits. In some cases it may actually enhance it, in other instances it may have a negative effect. It has appeared to me, the lighter the lure, the more the altered effect is noticed.

·
Premium Member
11,453 Posts
CaptainMo said:
Mustad Elite Triple Grip or Gammy EWG's
These are my favorites also. I have experimented a lot with changing trebble hooks. With the short shank Mustad Elite Triple Grips you can usually go up a hook size and not affect the action of the bait too much. I like the short shanks on the front hook of a square bill crank, it seems to help with the problem of the hook getting caught on the bill.

·
Premium Member
4,943 Posts
Mustad Triple Grips, short shank will not tangle allowing you to go up one size if you want, 2X strong is a tad heavier, allowing perhaps another foot in depth, sometimes very important.
Rodney

G

·
Oldfart9999 said:
Mustad Triple Grips, short shank will not tangle allowing you to go up one size if you want, 2X strong is a tad heavier, allowing perhaps another foot in depth, sometimes very important.
Rodney
+1

·
Premium Member
6,888 Posts
TxMrbass said:
Oldfart9999 said:
Rodney
+1
X2

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
dockhopper said:
KVD"S for me
Dockhopper is spot on. The KVDs are the best trebles I have ever used. Their construction allows you go up a size and still be true to the original design of the bait. Stronger than a fart at a chile festival too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts