Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
4,008 Posts
I have an early In-Fisherman report called "Rivers the last frontier" and believe I sent this to a few folks on this board? I can mail the magazine to Jared to copy in color and post if interested. The detail on the nature of moving water and how bass relate is excellent.
Tom

· Premium Member
4,008 Posts
Both smallmouth and spotted bass evolved in river environments and are more streamline to take advantage of the current. largemouth on the other hand are much more bulky shaped and do not handle current very well for sustained periods. All bass are designed to be ambush feeders and make quick sharp turns and short burst of speed. Bass find an ambush site and face the current where the current has a break to see or detect the prey coming towards them. The key is learning what are good current break locations where you fish. Rivers are totally different than tidal current or power generation current. The river current is constant, whereas tidal and power generation current is on and off. Tidal areas also have flooding associated with incoming current and dropping water levels with outgoing ebb current in the opposite direction, very different form the constant one direction of river current.
During the cold water period, where water is below 45 degrees, the LMB bass are just trying to survive, will seek the warmest, slowest current available and be inactive for the majority of the time. Why fish in those conditions, try to locate water where there is no current and warmer water, if possible.
Tom

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.