Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hats off to anyone who can use this stuff. I usually just use it as leader for my power pro super slick but got a new Reese jig/worm rod with micro guides and was anticipating issues with the knot going through the guides. So I thought, geeze...many people use it, it can't be that bad. Well I have tried 3 different brands and all do the same thing. And I have tried it on different reels with different settings...still the same. Tried KVD L/L, no use. When I cast, I stop the bait when it hits the water but as soon as I let off of the spool, it springs into 20 coils on the reel.
I've had enough...this stuff is horrible. Leader material only for me.

·
Premium Member
3,062 Posts
Yeah the first time I tried it I had all kinds of backlash too.Tried some Pline flouro clear on a spinning and it works great.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Re: Flourocarbon is the DEVIL!!!s

Smokey- gitcher self some quality fluoro like Seaguar, Sunline, Trilene 100% and try again, bro. I use 8# on spinning reels and love it. You shouldn't need much line conditioner (if any) if it's spooled on right and a little less on the spool than mono. Like Gup, I hated the stuff until I got good line. Good luck, northern bro!

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Oh... and good nod to The Waterboy! LOL!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright my southern amphibious bro...I just ordered me up some Sunline FC Sniper. It should be here before my next outing on the 23rd. I'll let you know how it works for me.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
You can do eet!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, so I spooled up with the Sunline Sniper. First 10 casts were ok then all *@%# broke loose again. At this point I knew it had to be something I was doing as so many people would not/could not put up with the way this stuff acts. So I started tightening things up on the reel and it got better. I lost some casting distance but I really wanna try to make this line work. I love the new rod and even with the spool a little tighter, I still cast as far as my old jig rod would so I guess it's not too bad.
Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Smokysaurus- thanks for the update, bud. What I found with fluoro is that the fundamentals of spinning reel technique are really important. For instance, closing the bail manually, releasing line behind the boat and respooling, etc. all help keep twist and wind knots out of the picture. I hope you get better results as you become more familiar with it. Until then, stay strong northern bro!

·
Registered
422 Posts
i have found fluorocarbon to be too brittle, my knots did not cinch correctly (seemingly), it's expensive, i have tried all the major brands, i not found a reason to chnage from Mono for leader or main line

my .02

·
Registered
3 Posts
I used to hate FC; due to its memory etc. Finally I allowed myself to be convinced that I was missing bites by fishing braid on my jig rod (casting, not pitching/ flipping).

12# Tatsu with lots of KVD L&L has worked out very well for me. 200 size casting reel- curado 201G6 to be precise, on a Loomis 893C NRX.

Still the only rig I have FC on; but to make use of the benefits of FC, you also need to embrace and/ or get around the obvious disadvantages.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I use P-Line flouro on all my applications where one would use flouro. The only time I use mono is when fishing topwater. Mono floats and flouro sinks. Never had an issue with P-Line flouro on my baitcasters. It's the only brand I use now.

I don't see how folks can use mono for mid to deep water applications, unless using it soley as a leader. Way too much memory for me and stretches a bit too much. I hope you get your issue sorted out friend. Hopefully by the time you're done playing with it, you can get that lost casting distance back. Good luck to you bud.

Mike

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I must say that I am getting used to it and getting the reel dialed in. I have it about as loose as I can stand, which gives me a slinky about every 10 or so casts...not too bad. No major backlash, just need to pull off some line, put tension on it and reel it back on. No biggie. And twice I have found a bass on my jig when I got tension back! I think I'll get it...and keep it. Just on that one rod though. All others get Super Slick and a flouro leader.
Thanks for all the support folks!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, things went downhill and I couldn't stand it any longer. I stripped off all the sin and respooled with Super Slick and saved that nasty stuff (I can't even say the word) for leader material.
My only issue is that it's on my jig rod which is a Skeet Reese jig/big worm rod with micro guides, so my knot needs to be sleek. I did some research and found this one and it seems to work well.
At first it seems complicated but after you tie it a couple of times it's like any other knot. I use a blood knot on all my other rigs with regular guides though. I can tie that one in a pair of seconds now.
Thanks again for all the tips folks but I've fallen off the wagon for good...

·
Registered
519 Posts
Ditto Toad.

Smokey- gitcher self some quality fluoro like Seaguar, Sunline, Trilene 100% and try again, bro. I use 8# on spinning reels and love it. You shouldn't need much line conditioner (if any) if it's spooled on right and a little less on the spool than mono. Like Gup, I hated the stuff until I got good line. Good luck, northern bro!
Ditto WhoToad. I tried Stren Flurocarbon and hated it. Tried Trilene 100% and Love it. Doesn't seem to give me anymore backlash issues than mono. Hang with it Smokeman.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Thanks for the nod, Gobblerdude-

Dadgum it, if it takes a fluorocarbon thread to get our bassholes back, then let's do it !

Smokeman, take some of that extra cash you Northern Ice Giants make tapping maple trees or squeezing out hard cider and get some good stuff. I don't think I'd even try dropshot or shaky head without it anymore. Either way, keep at it, bud. Keep cranking away... Well, maybe once ice out comes again.

Man, I miss you rascals...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Lost some good ones because the line broke at the knots; not came apart but broke. I imagine I have to learn a better knot but not my forte.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts