Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I were typing flouro to braid, I would most like use an albright or an alberto... but I recently got my hands on some 8lb Sunline FC Super Sniper and I really dont want to fill my entire spool with it, simply because it costs so much. So instead I spooled up my entire spool with some 8lb Viscious copolymer, made a long cast, shed another 50 foot off and cut. Now I want to tie my Sunline to the Viscious. They are both about the same diameter - the Sunline is roughly .009 and the Viscious is .011.

What knot would you guys recommend to tie these two similiar diameter lines together? I am thinking Uni to Uni?

Love to hear everyone's opinions on this.

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Alberto (like it's cousin - the albright) is best suited for lines whose diameters vary greatly. That's the main reason why I stated in the opening post that I didnt think it would be the best for same size flouro to same size mono. I feel it would have too great of a chance of slipping.

I did just find this knot:

http://www.netknots.com/html/seaguar_knot.html

looks super simple to tie

·
Registered
99 Posts
Standard blood knot was what we used back in the day to join mono to mono of similar dia. I can't see why it would not be effective in this case. If I remember correctly the blood knot retains somewhere around 80% of line strength.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I dunno jared, I think I would still strip some more off. If the hump of the knot is part of your cast, even at the end; I would think it would impact it.

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK. I stand corrected :D

First, I tried that new knot I found, the Seaguar knot. I didn't like it. I'm guessing it must be suited for heavier line. I good tug on my 8lb line and it broke at the knot very easily.

So, I decided to give the albright a shot (would have tried the alberto but I dont know it by memory yet)

I have always read that this knot (and the alberto) are best for tieing a thin line to a thick line. I decided to give JigMan's advice a shot and I tied the 8lb to the 8lb using an alberto. It actually worked fantasticly! I was worried that the knot would slip but it didnt. It snugged up very compact and when I wrapped both ends of the line around each hand, knot in the middle, and gave several good sharp tugs, the line didnt slip, the knot stayed tight and the line didn't break. I pulled hard enough to embed a good line just about cut into my hands.

I do believe this is the knot I will go with. :D

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
If you don't already do so, put a small piece of tape over the knot. That will remove it from the equation and if you get a big line burner on the tape will come off when the knots are pulled off the spool. I always try to keep tape over my line to backing knots.

·
Premium Member
11,453 Posts
Now thats a great idea Jig Man, I never thought of doing that, I always put backer on my reels to save line, Iv never had to use over half the line on the reel spool anyway. :thumbup01: :thumbup01:

Jared that albright knot is what I use to tie my backing and mainline together, iv never gone deep enough into the spool with a fish on to get to it, but I believe it would hold really well. Just a reminder, if your using a rod with micro guides, check to make sure the knot will pass before doing this, if it wont you might have to add less backing to be sure you dont get to the knot.

·
Premium Member
4,943 Posts
I've used a double uni & super glued it when it was tied, never had a problem. I use the same to tie my leader to the braid for my rigs.
Rodney

·
Registered
13,775 Posts
Double uni has worked fine for me with the line weights I typically fish...
I honestly don't remember the last time I got down deep enough into the spool that the knot was ever actually coming off the spool. If I got that low on line, I would have re-spooled by then.

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mlsims said:
Just a reminder, if your using a rod with micro guides, check to make sure the knot will pass before doing this, if it wont you might have to add less backing to be sure you dont get to the knot.
I actually am. I have two new rods from ALXrods.com and they both have micro guides. One is spinning and one is baitcasting. The knot passed through them just fine too but thank you for the reminder. I almost forgot. This is my first micro guide rods. I LOVE THEM but thats another post for another time ;)

·
Premium Member
6,888 Posts
surgeons knot also works well with this!!! ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts