Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm kinda new as this baitcaster idea. What gear ratio should I get for a flipping reel? Is a flipping switch needed? any help would be great

·
Premium Member
4,943 Posts
A flipping switch is not required, just turn the handle after you peeled off enough line. A high speed reel would be best, but remember, flipping & pitching were developed when high speed was 5 to 1.
Rodney

·
Premium Member
11,453 Posts
You can easily get by with 6:4 ratio on a flipping reel, some like faster, just to get the bait back to the boat quicker for another pitch or flip. Flipping switch is not required, both reels I use for flipping and pitching have the switches, but i have never used them. I use a regular baitcaster on one flipping stick, its a Abu Garcia Black Max, nothing special. The other is an Ardent F700, which I fell in love with once I started using it, the Black Max will soon be replaced with another ardent. When using 65# braid like I do when flipping, you really just use the rod to pull the fish to the boat and take up the slack with the reel, you dont need anything fancy to do that. This aint finess fishing its hand to hand combat. :D :D :D

·
Registered
213 Posts
i use a Ardent F700 with 25lb seaguar abrazX. I go for the 8ft range rods to take up more line quick. Lots of dirty water where i am so i rarely have to reel when i hook a fish. I just set and flip em straight in the boat.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Been using quantum energy pts for last 6-7 years and couldn't be happier. All my flipping/pitching reels are burners . And I wouldn't worry about a flipping switch

·
Premium Member
945 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,888 Posts
@SBJ, Been using one for sometime now with no problems! It's a nice reel! :thumbup01: :thumbup01: :thumbup01: :thumbup01:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I like something in the 100 size.. but I really love the old Curado D's
but they are heavy so.. its kinda dependent on the rod your using.
If its tip heavy than, a heavy reel will balance it out. If its not than
I'd go will a lighter weight reel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts