Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was watching Roland Martin pitching and flipping and he talked very briefly about a butt cap he was using on his flipping stick and a strike indicator he was using on his line. Rare for Roland not to do and full documentary on all his products. Wanted to find out more about both of these added extras.

Was wondering if anyone else uses either the padded butt cap or the strike indicator?

·
Premium Member
4,943 Posts
I don't use an indicator but I have a pitching rig set up with a yellow FireLine, I use a 12# flouro leader so I suppose you could say I do use an indicator. The after market butt caps I've tried came from BPS, you can add weight with them to balance your outfit, I don't use them any more since I'm going with lighter outfits, the lighter the more sensitive and easier to use. I hope this helps.
Rodney

·
Registered
422 Posts
I saw the same show awhile back. that kinda setup is big in South Florida 7.5-8ft extra extra hvy stick, basicly a med duty saltwater reel (winch), min of 65lbs braid, to 100lbs braid, extremely hvy duty flippin hook

The strike indicator does help tremendously

never thought I'd need that kinda fresh setup but you simply can't drag the fish out of the slop without it

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
austins35 said:
I saw the same show awhile back. that kinda setup is big in South Florida 7.5-8ft extra extra hvy stick, basicly a med duty saltwater reel (winch), min of 65lbs braid, to 100lbs braid, extremely hvy duty flippin hook

The strike indicator does help tremendously

never thought I'd need that kinda fresh setup but you simply can't drag the fish out of the slop without it
After years of fishing in Florida and getting a chance to go toe to toe with some big bass in heavy cover I now use an 8' St. Croix Legend Flipping Stick, Revo Reel, and 65 lb Power Pro Braid. I do get bruises from the butt of the rod and was wondering if the butt cover actually helped. The little indicator seemed like a good idea, just wondered again if anyone else tried or used them. Just looking for ideas to make working the heavy cover more effective.

·
Registered
422 Posts
i have tried to order the Butt cap RM uses everytime I try to order them they're outta stock they must work for the intended purpose

I only use a baitcasting setup for flipping, pitching type fishing so not having the cap (although I'd like to have some) isn't a huge deal for me.

I'm mainly spinning rod guy (Now anyway)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts