Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure what I am experiencing is a line or reel problem. I am using a Cardinal C404 reel (cheap) and stren original 8lb. line. What I am experiencing when retrieving a lure is a slight resistance while reeling the lure in. I hear a "tink, tink, tink" noise while I am reeling in. I have looked at the rod guides, changed line twice but have not changed the reel. The rod is a loomis and it is new so I know that isn't the issue. There is a slight resistance and noise that I am hearing and feeling. I hope I have made myself clear. :)

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
First take the spool out of the reel and try reeling with the bail closed and listening for the tick. Next put the spool back in the reel, cut off anything on the the line and reel the line back onto the spool, then put a rubber band around the line tight on the spool. Now reel again and listen for the ticking. If you haven't heard any ticking, run the line through the rod guides, add a weight and make a cast and retrieve the weight. Now if you hear the ticking the problem is the reel bail or bail roller. The bail could be; hitting the reel frame, the bail release latch spring is defective or the roller needs service.
If you heard ticking in steps 1 or 2, check the spool for any loose parts and the drive shaft for any line wrapped around it.
Tom

·
Registered
612 Posts
oldschool said:
First take the spool out of the reel and try reeling with the bail closed and listening for the tick. Next put the spool back in the reel, cut off anything on the the line and reel the line back onto the spool, then put a rubber band around the line tight on the spool. Now reel again and listen for the ticking. If you haven't heard any ticking, run the line through the rod guides, add a weight and make a cast and retrieve the weight. Now if you hear the ticking the problem is the reel bail or bail roller. The bail could be; hitting the reel frame, the bail release latch spring is defective or the roller needs service.
If you heard ticking in steps 1 or 2, check the spool for any loose parts and the drive shaft for any line wrapped around it.
Tom
Excellent post. I would think the rod coming out of the reel is bent and the spool is hitting the reel body, or the drag washer(s) is missing under the spool.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts