Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

· Premium Member
2,887 Posts
I use two automobile style 12v fog lamps on the bow to navigate fields of snags which exist even out in the middle of the main channel of Lake Ouachita, and to avoid the 250 some-odd stationary and wandering buoys out there. I also turn them on whenever it appears some boater is aiming dead-on for me in the night. That turns 'em every time, but I always take an evasive course change just in case. Turning them on while fishing is a no-no, as that kills my night vision a minute or two, but when outboarding back out of a cluttered cove not familiar to me I don't care to ride up on snags just below the surface.

However, spearfishing is highly popular here at night, and you can spot those guys miles away. They hang thousands of watts of sodium lamps over the side of their big flatbed rigs. They say the light draws baitfish, which draws some mighty big fish including big bass. I've never tried bassin around that. They mostly go after the huge carp and follow the bowfins.

The only other fishing related use of light I've seen out there around the snag fields and around local docks is for crappie fishing. Now you see lots of green lights at dock-ends as well as the standard night lights. There's usually quite a lot of folks crappie fishing and doing very well in those places, hardly ever sitting in darkness. My family fished by Coleman lantern many a night to fill a boat for a feast. We've always managed to catch some nice bass near lights, the bass being a curse to die-hard crappie folks. That's a guarantee of losing everything cast out, and tangling up whatever lines you have out.

Jim

· Premium Member
214 Posts
I love night fishing, all those rec folks are gone and the lakes are nice and quiet. Great time to enjoy a drink and some awesome fishing.
Also the bass show no fear. I use Berkley 10" & 7" BLK Power-worms or Skinny-Bear BLK jigs. most of the time I hook on the retrieve.

· Registered
32 Posts
I'm sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but do LMB bite well after dark. I always target walleye or stripers and have never even thought about the LMB but the comment about the topwater bite in the dark has me stoked.

· Registered
390 Posts
I suppose it's like any other time. Some nights you can hammer them and some nights you might get skunked.

I think clear water probably helps the bite some as does a bright moon and clear skies and minimal wind, although for walleyes some chop on the water seems to help the bit, but then again for walleyes I am generally trolling with a gas motor.

· Registered
166 Posts
marriemb said:
it is scary at night i am not sure if we can catch a fish or not but they sure rest at night
lol That is hilarious. Did you see my pictures in the above post?? They are only a few of over 5000 trophy bass caught at night from delaware and Maryland to California. They hit jigs, topwater, and spinnerbaits great at night. Pick the prime times, just like the day, I don't use any lights or make any noise at all. Stay off the trolling motor whenever possible, that goes for the day as well. There is more to it, but they hit at night. lol

41 - 48 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.