Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks for the links Jim. I see the first one is in Canada so the shipping might be high. I will look around to see if I can find something like that local to me.

Great info too. My favorite tactic is to use black spinnerbaits. Also, folks, don't just go fishing around full moons. New moons are just as effective. Sometimes new moon periods yield bigger fish for me.

· Premium Member
2,887 Posts
I try to fish in as much moonlight as possible. Once my eyes adjust I can see where I'm casting so as not to hook up too many "tree bass", and avoid casting over places where if a bass were to bite I wouldn't have to pole in to retrieve it. I don't mind that by day where I can clearly see I won't beach the boat. But you are right, it seems the darker nights produce a more bites. Now once you get into this when fishing under moonlight you will find the same "rules" apply as when fishing under the sun. Moonlight casts shadows too, and I find mature bass love to hide in the tips of long shadows in ambush for whatever swims by. They also like to suspend on the dark side of a tree snag, like they do by day, so I try to cast to the moon so the bait travels to the fish in the shadow. I don't think they appreciate baits coming up to them from behind. For whatever reason, that casting angle works by day or night.

Black is my primary spinnerbait color at night, including black Colorado blades. They silhouette against a night sky for best visibility by bass below it. If there's the slightest chop in the water, like in daylight I prefer some noise-making in a bait to compete with the surface disturbances, sometimes tying on a buzzbait. But on calm nights with glassy smooth water I avoid noisy baits like a spinnerbait, opting for a quieter soft plastic like what I believe the noisiest to be, the ribbontail. Sometimes it is better to use a paddletail, fairly "noisy" by it's displacement of water, or a simple trick worm, the quietest. Bass have a nearly supernatural night vision, so if their environment is quiet, so will their prey be quiet, and that's what they expect, relying on all their senses to locate food. It should go without saying there is no place for noises from inside a boat. Let a tacklebox lid slap the deck...pick up and move 100 yards, for the bass there know you are there. That's where the pole comes in handy, avoiding a noisy trolling motor. I believe the dunking of the pole actually attracts curious bass, like in the old days we used to slap water with a paddle to revive a sluggish bite. When I hear a beaver slapping around I cast around it too. They draw bass, maybe because bass interpret the severe thunking as a big bass feeding. Lot of anglers leave an area where beavers are working, so maybe the bass are used to not having anglers around beavers and they let their guard down. Who knows?

I put a switch on the console light panel so I can dim the gauges, which otherwise ruin my night vision. I got stopped by the night patrol and given a warning citation for the head lights, but a call to the state headquarters got a letter saying there is no regulation covering those, and as long as the red/green nav light on the bow is visible above the head lights it is allowed. I have to carry that letter to avoid being bothered about those changes, but can still be stopped. One fact I cited to them is the many houseboats and spear fishermen using brilliant lighting that blinds other boaters if you look their way, yet nothing is being done about that. Some of the houseboats look like river boats lit up for a big party.

Jim

G

·
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
In Texas and here in Florida May has been the best night time fishing month. This is especially true in Texas. I remember my first year of fishing lake Fork and I started in May and fished every single Friday night through the first of August.

I never one time caught less then 20 bass through the 4th of July. It was the most fun I have ever had and I had a hard time getting people to come fish with me haha. But when they did they got to experience the incredible action also. All of them caught on a black Hildebrandt Go Getter spinnerbait with a Uncle Josh or Strike King jumbo sized pork chunk as a trailer. The fish weren't huge but I did notice that May gave me the biggest several 6lbers and numerous 5 lbers and many 4lbers and not one single Bass under 3lbs. Amazing I know. Then in June the size started to go down and the biggest was about 4lbs and I started catching 2lbers. Then in late June and early July the size dwindled some more and I didn't catch a single bass over 2lbs. I fished till August that year. The numbers went down under 20 after the 4th of July also. It finally settled around 5 or 6 by end of July and early Auguist. It was then that I stopped fishing at night.

I did try other lakes too like Lake Athens, Callender Lake (Private lake) and of course Fork. Callender Lake and Fork were the best. I still caught 20 bass at Athens lake though.

· Premium Member
2,887 Posts
How many times I don't know, but many a night it sure was a shame I didn't have someone along to share in the fun. I always catch more and bigger at night. When the sizes begin to drop is when I move out deeper. About mid July the shallow water is too hot for shad, so they head for the deep mid lake structures like humps and steep islands where they can find narrow deep ditches to hide in with cooler water. In a pinch they can scramble for thick weeds in shallower water. Out there the hydrilla grows to 25 feet depth and gets very thick, so that's where I go in mid to late summer, looking for up to 30 feet of water with structure near shallower weeds around 15-20 feet down, to wherever the thermocline is. That is usually 22 feet down mid lake, 17 on the lee side depending on wind direction all day, and 25 feet on the windward sides where wind shoves warm surface water to "bury" the thermocline layer. Then, come early Fall when the thermocline breaks up, I look much deeper, to 60 feet of water where the DO is about the same as at the surface, at the turn-over. By then my night fishing is over since the days are shorter, sun less intense, and bass begin chasing shad schools into long coves.

Jim

· Premium Member
1,412 Posts
I had one of the best nights fishing last night....4 fish landed for me, all 2# range and a 3# 10 was the biggest i weighed but way better than alot of other nights/fmfc trips... black with red spinner bait(midnight speacial) and weightless senkos worked for me... buddy had T~rig, senko style baits on and got um too.... next for me is a crawdaddy style bait, like sweet beavers, now that i have alittle more confednce in the night bite anyway... topwater next , maybe a buzzbait with one hook in it or a topwater frog...i am scared to throw those 3 treble hook lures....

i think i will also add the stinger hook to the spinner bait as i swear i had tons of swipes at the bait, i would be reeling in a constant slow retrieve then a out of know where thump and then my spinner was down in the weeds, i could feel the weed tops all the time, and kept running it close to them, but i think the thump was a missedhit, but still caused the spinner to drop down enuff in the weeds to grab them? i will find out next time when i add the stinger....

· Registered
127 Posts
:clap:
Way to go, LBT!

Yeah, noisy topwaters are good at night. Try to use black or dark colors so the silhouette can be seen by the fish. The great thing about night-time topwater action is that you don't react too soon, because you don't always see the bite, so your success rate is usually better than day-time topwater fishing. Most of the time, when we see a topwater bite, we hookset too soon and miss the fish. You shouldn't set the hook until you feel the weight of the fish on the line. This is the easiest thing to say... and the hardest thing to do! At night, it's much easier to live by this rule, because we're practically blind, and though we hear the strike, we still tend to wait until we feel the fish at night.

As far as the spinnerbaits, you should definitely use a trailer hook if there aren't excessive weeds around, and.. again... dark colors for those skirts. Another thing about night-time spinnerbaiting: a lot of times I don't feel the hit, I feel the blade stop turning. If you feel the blade stop in any way, set that hook!

My personal favorite topwater lure in the wee-wee hours... as you know... is a black Jitterbug, but a buzzbait should knock them dead, too. Let us know how you do, buddy.
:jitterbug:

· Premium Member
1,412 Posts
yep i have thrown alot of topwater and love it , but i need a one hook topwater, something with less hooks fliein around my head... lol

i tried the DS rig for about a hour, mostly deadstiking it while i fished the spinerbait...nothin yet? but i'l be working on it more and more!

· Registered
14 Posts
when i fish at night im fishing for bass and when your fising at night a black light is a must have i usually use black lures like a 5 inch senko black with large blue flakes texas rigging it and if you can stand to stay out late they start bitting around 5 or 6 thats when ive always caught all my big fish

· Registered
1,225 Posts
I love fishing during a full moon on Lake Weir here in Central Fl. It has brush piles all over in depths between 12 and 22ft. The fish really hang on them during the full moon. I like dd22's, rattletraps, carolina rigs. All these have produced alot of fish for me during a full moon. Right now its much nicer at night. Our club has one night tournament a year and before you know it its over. Summer tournaments- 100+ degrees during the day and a 3pm weighin your praying for the day to end!

· Registered
241 Posts
WHEN I FISH AT NIGHT I LOVE TOP-WATER AND THEY ARE A LARGE BLACK JOINTED JITTERBUG, A G SPLASH COLORED LUCKY CRAFT POPPER, A CLOWN COLORED POP R AND IF THEY DON'T WORK I GO HOME.

· Registered
374 Posts
Nice night set up Jim :clap: As for fishing at night, that's when I do the majority of my bass fishing. I start about 8:00pm and sometimes do not get off the water til about 8:00am, most of my bigger bass are caught around 1:00am when they come to the shallows to search for food. I use a jig/pig with pork or a plastic trailer in a color of black/blue flake or a Chompers Black/Blue flake 4" skirted grub that is salt & garlic flavored. After about 2:30am I switch to a buzzbait - my favorite buzzbait is the double blade buzzer - WOW! It seems like the only thing that attacks this double buzzer are BIG bass, it drives them CRAZY!

· Registered
264 Posts
Hey Guys, We are the latest sponsor for the bassholes site and I wanted to introduce myself to my fellow night fisherman. Our products are really geared for the night fisherman and for guys who are rigging up in low light situations. If you get a chance visit our site by clickingon the banner on the right or just go to www.bluewaterled.com

Thanks

· Registered
390 Posts
Last summer I spent a fair amount of time out night fishing on Mille Lacs Lake, primarily for walleye's but we did get some nice smallmouth. This was the 1st time I've caught a bass at night in many years.

My family used to have a cabin on a lake with very clear water and the night fishing out there was pretty good. When I would fish for walleyes at night I would catch about 8 bass to 1 walleye. Some warm summer nights I would fish for bass with black Jitterbugs or some kind of buzzbait. I also loved to use a spotlight and move around with the trolling motor to see what I could see, which was lots of fish of all types. Man was that fun.

· Registered
5,873 Posts
Hey all when you night fish for bass try this. A midnight speical in blk by Strike King. You won't be dissappointed. Not only the spinners, but it also has a rattle on it too. Then when it slams it hold on, what a rush.

· Registered
166 Posts
Go At Night:

I know you heard this before, but this is the time for trophy bass!

Now, when I say go at night, I mean that you should arrive at the lake about two hours after sunset, and you should be leaving when the first boats start to arrive in the morning. When I first started doing this there was never another boat fishing for bass on either of these lakes, nor was there anyone on any of the public ponds either. After the word got out in a years time there would be three to five boats on all these waters every time I arrived afterwards.

You should keep all the noise to an absolute minimum, as these bass are really used to hearing trolling motors, oars, objects banging on the bottom of boats, and even loud conversation and radios. Remember, this is their "Front Room". If somebody came into your house you would know they were there! Even once the other anglers started to come they didn't do what I am going to tell you now. They made a lot of noise and had lights on all the time. They smoked and used a lot of bug spray and touched gasoline, etc. which was on their hands. I believe this deters the bass even if it is to a small degree. Remember, we are talking about a trophy bass, not just three to five pounders. I believe there is a difference when fishing for these bass.

I don't use lights at all! I only turn on a light when it is absolutely necessary and I never shine it on the water. You can debate forever whether this is necessary to do or not, but I believe that the proof is in the pudding as they say. When I see other anglers catching the same or larger bass than I do without following these rules, then I will admit that it doesn't matter, but until that happens I will continue to employ these tactics for trophy bass.

One last thing I will tell you about baits is that I generally use the largest bait available when trophy hunting to avoid the smaller fish.

I make the profile of the buzzbait larger by adding a long trailer like a worm or swimbait to the body, and I use a big saltwater type topwater at times, or even 10 inch worms and big jigs.

It is not just the type of baits either but how they are worked. One example is the buzzbait. I not only vary the retrieves until I see what they want that day or night, but I also make repeated casts to the same area. I don't mean repeated in the manner you think. I will make fifty casts at times from every possible angle to the same piece of cover or same area of water. Many times on cast number thirty or forty a bass has exploded on the bait!

Attachments

· Registered
5,428 Posts
Nice hawgs there, Delaware! Good stuff tip-wise, too! Thanks for the pics :clap: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

I've got a night tournament coming up this week and I'm tired of coming in with a light bag. Shoot, if I'm not going to catch much anyway, I might as well devote the time on the water to roping some pigs!

21 - 40 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.