Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Premium Member
1,412 Posts
yep, the sun is a powerful thing, but i would rather have the sun straight up, than setting or rising if the bites wasn't so good, it's the angle of the sun that kills me, no hat can cover straight on sunlight...the sun so low on the horizon but it still follows where ever you go? it kills me....at least in @ noon it is straight up and a wide brim helps, but the fishing is not as hot as the temp out side so i don't fish much noon hours unless we are swimming to...i pull out at noon in the heat!!! i learned from framing in this heat and sun to wear long selves,it took awhile to figure it out, but your protected from sun plus you sweat does not just drip off it stays by you cooling you more. trust me! look at any older construction..

i like the coolness of night too, i know AR doesn't cool as much as we normally do but not having that bright evil life giver in the sky helps, we can drop 40* easy in the summer, 100* to 60* thats in the city out by the river feels cooler faster...and the bugs are thick...

so bring the bug spray too, you may not have time to feel the cancer if you die of westnile first and i bet the first bite of the night is not a fish if you dont bring it!.... i like the wipe ons but then you need a hand cleaner too.... i like to have some Coffey grounds around rub your hands in that real good,or even some coffee for the rinse...

bring a light, it is more for safety, in a boat on big water bring lots of back ups! i fish with no traffic most, so less idiots to watch for......i like a small head lamp but i don't like to use light, unless totally needed! to tie on or UN do a hang up....

back on trak~ the spinners are great, less hang ups in cover or on shore, plus easy to feel and set hooks, also think about one hook only flieing threw the air too! 3 buddies and i were meeting up fishing one night, 2 in my canoe 2 in the little john boat, we met up mid river/pond and hooked the boats together, it was just about night time, and i still had on my sunglasses now turned 'safety glasses!' i was scared not of my lure, but every one else's, at least 16 if not more treble hook were fly`n around in the dark(that was stupid) finally i tied on a soft plastic with one hook,and stated as i made the choose "i am tired of ***** hanging up, every ****time i cast!!!" it took alot of eye closing to tie on, with somemany cast fliein over head...but i did and not long after we finally all had on one hook lures!

beware animals feed and drink during night, dusk & morn, it is awsome to catch a glimpse of but also watch out..you don't need to walk up to the truck in the morn and see that skunk after you smelled it all night and then on top of that were skunked at fishin.... 3 time skunk!WOW!

a must have for night fishing is a understanding spouse if they do not go fishing with you, one who will let you sleep the next day! or at least deal with a grouch...but then wake you up before the sunsets again.......it helps anyway!

every year i do more and more night fishing , i think it is do to the heat.... it just makes me feel better anyway... less people not much heat and maybe one day ill have better night fishin!can't say that is has been the best numbers...yet! but i have fun! and would bet i can get better at it...

· Premium Member
1,412 Posts
Jim one saftey tip i could only recomend after seeing your set up in person and thinking about it later, is to take your lures off while motoring ,it is not that big of a deal but something for you to think about, if you ever go threw those poles or have a lure flop off while driving it might put a eye out or tangle you up....but jim i know you are as safe as possible...and if it possed any more danger than haveing them layin around anywhere you would fix it, but is is your boat and i would ride in it any day if granted premission to come aboard..... cuz i know how carefull you try to be...i think it look very functional too< i even tried it on my canoe but then found when i drive down to the river the trees take the tips off the poles and try to steal the lures......and i have also cast and grabed the poles too, almost threw them in the water so i only stand my poles up when bait fishing or trolling.. the canoe sucks for alot of poles, but i bring as many as 5 but mostly 2 poles and a extra spool for one reel, it works out well for me...

keep the info comin...!!!!

· Premium Member
1,412 Posts
owe ya, did anyone try the tap lights, you know the kind that mount any where with double stick tape and take 2 aa batteries

... i tried the cheap ones out and they suck'd, but lineside put in some better style ones? in his boat and they look real nice.... a very good add on to any boat! i might have to try the better style light! put them in a locker or down below the deck anywhere... i bet you have one mounted by your batterylocker, i would recomend rechargable aa batteries they have gotten so much better than the old style ones......

· Premium Member
1,412 Posts
thats netting is cool! lol....
i know after reading about them gators the skeeters and treble hooks don't seem so bad....
wow good info too Jim!!! :thumbup01: i have seen small schools of shad on the river with the striper pushing up to shore, awsome site to see, but mine was only hundreds of shad..it sounds like a bunch of pebbles sprinkling on the water followed by a few 20# bolders..lol.. but i love seeing them go air born fleing for there life.

· Premium Member
1,412 Posts
I had one of the best nights fishing last night....4 fish landed for me, all 2# range and a 3# 10 was the biggest i weighed but way better than alot of other nights/fmfc trips... black with red spinner bait(midnight speacial) and weightless senkos worked for me... buddy had T~rig, senko style baits on and got um too.... next for me is a crawdaddy style bait, like sweet beavers, now that i have alittle more confednce in the night bite anyway... topwater next , maybe a buzzbait with one hook in it or a topwater frog...i am scared to throw those 3 treble hook lures....

i think i will also add the stinger hook to the spinner bait as i swear i had tons of swipes at the bait, i would be reeling in a constant slow retrieve then a out of know where thump and then my spinner was down in the weeds, i could feel the weed tops all the time, and kept running it close to them, but i think the thump was a missedhit, but still caused the spinner to drop down enuff in the weeds to grab them? i will find out next time when i add the stinger....

· Premium Member
1,412 Posts
yep i have thrown alot of topwater and love it , but i need a one hook topwater, something with less hooks fliein around my head... lol

i tried the DS rig for about a hour, mostly deadstiking it while i fished the spinerbait...nothin yet? but i'l be working on it more and more!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.