·
Registered
856 Posts
that looks real good should get the job done

·
Registered
64 Posts
Coosa,
Nice looking jig and excellent color. If you would like a tip to improve your look of your spider jig. Tie that skirt on with thread. The thread will make the strands pop out by the head, especially if you use silicone flat tabs. See pic below. If you intend to use round rubber, it will be more pronounced and really flare. Just my observation, and trying to help. Don't take this wrong.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Hand tying is a b#$%h. If you do want to hand tie, thread works well like cadman suggested, but it is easier to use a very light wire and a pliers to hand tie and is faster. I however have not noticed enough of a difference from the rubber collar to justify the time it takes. To each his own I guess. the only real benefit I have found is that the rubber collars can deteriorate and break, but I rarely have a jig make it that long.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
(DChance) Derek i can tye on a skirt in just seconds and
whip finish it in less than a Minute.

Dave :bassmaster: :flw:

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Sure you can David, but it took you time to get to that point. It can be tough to get that good. I was just stating that in my opinion the benefits of a hand tie don't justify the time it takes to get really good at it. the Rubber collars work great fo me. I can hand tie too, but not near as fast. I just don't see enough upside to it. I know some guys really like their jigs hand tied.

·
Registered
13,775 Posts
To each their own...Whatever are peoples personal preferences is what they should use...

Personally I use rubber collars....It's just what works for me...I rarely have one that gives out, or deteriorates from age...As long as they don't sit out for extended periods of time, or in direct sunlight for long periods (days and days), they suit my purpose just fine...
One thing I like about using the rubber collars is that I can do them anywhere, no vise needed...I typically make up a bunch of spares and just carry them on the boat with me however...I can change skirt colors on the fly that way. With hand tied skirts, you basically are stuck with having to tie on a whole different jig, versus just switching skirts.
I switch out Jig skirts and Spinnerbaits skirts all the time while out on the boat.

·
Registered
64 Posts
CaptainMo said:
To each their own...Whatever are peoples personal preferences is what they should use...

Personally I use rubber collars....It's just what works for me...I rarely have one that gives out, or deteriorates from age...As long as they don't sit out for extended periods of time, or in direct sunlight for long periods (days and days), they suit my purpose just fine...
One thing I like about using the rubber collars is that I can do them anywhere, no vise needed...I typically make up a bunch of spares and just carry them on the boat with me however...I can change skirt colors on the fly that way. With hand tied skirts, you basically are stuck with having to tie on a whole different jig, versus just switching skirts.
I switch out Jig skirts and Spinnerbaits skirts all the time while out on the boat.
Very well put Cap'n Mo.
I have jigs that I used with rubber collars going on 5 years and the collars have not dry rotted. Keep them out of the sun and they will be fine. Also that is the drawback with hand tying, you can not change skirts, so you have to have a million different sizes and colors of finished jigs. To each his own and whatever works for you. The fish don't care if they are hand tied or have rubber collars.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.