Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got done making my very first crankbait. I must say, not to shabby. I haven't done any painting on it yet because I just don't know what colors to use. Any suggestions??

Here are several pictures of the bait being made in progress.

Block of Balsa Wood

·
Registered
801 Posts
Oh my gosh! That is great! I can't wait to see it painted... Awesome job of carving :clap: :clap: :clap:.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mary. I am really happy with how it turned out. I just don't know what design to put on it yet. I thought about carving in some side indentions. I'm just glad I was able to get this far with it. LOL

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
Looking great Bobby! :thumbup01: :clap:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Dave and Jared. It took about an hour to hour and a half to do. I can't wait until it is complete.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imonembad said:
It looks awesome Bobby! I can't tell how big it is. Is it a swimbait?

I would say that the size is too big but it will cause one heck of a wake in the water. I have to go out and buy some treble hooks and an eye.

Anybody got suggestions as to what color and design I should use??

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
You better paint it red craw! Before the painting you might want to check how it sits in the water with hooks and hardware, or is a shelf model? It's difficult to add line tie to balsa wood bills. The hook hangers can be lead for the front and hardwood dowel for the back. Your a good artist and waiting to see the bass you catch with this fine looking lure.
Tom

·
Registered
635 Posts
The easiest color- and one that catches fish- would be a simple bone color. Just paint it white, and add a few coats of gloss. Add glitter if you want to make it fancy. Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
72 Posts
That's Awesome, wish I had that talent!!!! Your in Texas sooooooo, ya gotta do the fire tiger thing LOL!!

Any color will be gr8, I agree that the only problem will be keeping the hook eye in since balsa is so soft. But with that much talent, I'm sure you will come up with a way to keep her snug.

Great Job and Good Luck!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I agree that the only problem will be keeping the hook eye in since balsa is so soft.
Yea, I know. I have been thinking long and hard but have about 3 ideas running in my head at the same time. I am going to have to do something like Tom said.

Thanks yall for all the great comments. I could use some constructive criticism. This bait is far from perfect so if yall have any ideas as to how to improve it please let me know.

I know one thing for sure.....it might be a little to big. LOL

But Big Baits = Big Fish. LOL Or so they say.

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
Good job on that! Counting man-hours getting that far would that have to sell for about $100? :clap:

Being all balsa and balsa lip, it's going to be a high floater and the bill will be very tender, so keep it out of the rocks and thick cover. Belly needs to be white, pearl, or light smoke to match native prey belly colors. Top coloring won't matter much since the back will ride at the surface. I'd go with all fire engine red top with white or yellow stripes for greater appeal if knocked down by a bass, easier for him to relocate it in bubbly water made by the fish.

If you do it again I suggest cutting a slot in the nose for a plastic bill. Try using part of one of those clear plastic baitbox dividers that are almost always left over after configuring and filling with baits. I have a WalMart bag full of dividers. They are easy to carve, file and shape, and hold up well. Super glue it in. If it gets damaged just cut it out and glue in another bill.

Jim

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I use those sometimes too Jim. Although they do tend to bend and once they are bent they will make the bait run crooked.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Is there a liquid out there that will make Balsa wood harder??

Thanks for all the tips guys.

I will try that baitbox divider for a bill out. Never thought of that.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
just a thought what about adding some reverse gills that would displace a little more water? The gills would be easy to do with a good file. With your talent it should be neat to see what you came up with. Dave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
dave0331_69 said:
just a thought what about adding some reverse gills that would displace a little more water? The gills would be easy to do with a good file. With your talent it should be neat to see what you came up with. Dave
I thought about that and I might just attempt it before the paint job. I just got threw adding the eye and hooks. I will try to post pictures of it now before the paint job.

Are you talking like this direction ))) or this direction (((

1 - 20 of 40 Posts