Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!!!! Me again with another question. Saturday I was fishing wearing shorts, sandals, and a tank top. It's Monday now, it was 36 when I got up and they are saying this is the high. They are forecasting low to mid 30's all week until at least Thursday. I have a tourney at Rayburn on the 27th. In my mind, this could not have happened at a better time because I don't think the fish wil be shallow. I am thinking they will be holding on the deeper cover and structure. This front has really boosted my confidence because I feel the worse the conditions, the better chance I have. Reason being, I concentrate on fishing after severe weather changes as often as possible so I can track my fish. Braved the weather yesterday, it started out at about 50 but when we got to the water it was 42. Fished for 6 hrs and caught 4 that weighed 13-4. Never found the fifth bite but was pretty happy with the results. I will be concentrating my efforts in 10- 25' of water. I'll let the fish tell me rest. Any comments that you guys might have will be greatly appreciated.
-Joe

· Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh Jim, Jiim, Jim,.....If only had I read this sooner. We left this morning @ 3 a.m. Got there about 6. The temp was 45, wind 10-15 from the northeast and all other directions as well. On the water at 6:45. It's cold. I know it's in my mind but it was on my hands, face, legs.... Water temp throughout the day was 50 degrees. Never really found anything warmer than 51. Open lake was pretty rough and I am sore. This fish were suspended in about 15-18 ft. of the deep side of the drops of a set of north end points. They were everywhere. I haven't ever witnessed such an activity zone that was so obvious. We fished them hard. I threw cranks at each one with a very slow retrieve. We fsihed water with 12-20 depths with T-rigged plastics, and a power version of the shaky head. Nothing. The water clarity varied and we fished it all. I saw water that reminded me of the Red River in Natchitoches, La., water that looked like potato soup, water that looked like the cofee I drank this morning with two creams, and pretty water with 3-5' visibility that looked like good ole Sam Rayburn water. I was with Ed, the guy I will be fishing with this year. You know why I didn't catch any fish? It wasn't because of the harsh front trying to push through or the sub 50 temps or the steady drizzle, the muddy water. I let myself get talked out of what I felt would work. I used the 3/8" shakey head for the first time, I fished based off opinion and not my own. I did not throw that jerkbait today. Don't really know why either. I have 17 of them. All Smithwick. I love them. But didn't throw them. Today was prefish. It won't happen next week. Air temp is only predicted to get is mid 50s this week with pretty much the same conditions. Those fish were supseneded. I saw them. I saw all the clues I've read about, told myself to try the jerkbait and didn't. What a boob, huh?! They wanted a slo-o-o-w presentation and I never gave them one in the open water activity zones we were on. I will go with my strengths next week. I think I will do well. Thanks!!!!!
-Joe

· Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Steel, fish were suspended in 13-17 ft. I had water clear enough for hard jerkbaits.

Imonem, you're right, coulda, woulda, shoulda, I will do alot better next week.

Jim, I will do much better next week. I have the knowledge to fish these jerkbaits efficiently and I think that is what I am going to use because I don't believe very many will be.

Thanks guys!!!
-Joe

P.S. Hi Steel- you should try the shakeyhead on a 3/8 head. It is really awesome from what I have seen first hand. It's just not something I'm comfortable with yet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.