Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

· Premium Member
2,887 Posts
Over the past 40 years of traveling America I've bought a license in most states, some states multiple years, most of them offering a setup for non-residents and up to 3 day's fishing and maybe an alternative one week. It's usually a very reasonable fee, for sure compared to fines, loss of equipment, and in my case fishing without one would have risked my job. Some states didn't have that, a full non-resident license fee pretty steep, but still far better than the alternative. I think now most states let you buy a license online. Arkansas issues a temporary license you print out online, or you can buy on the phone and keep a reference number handy until your paper copy arrives by mail.

Jim

· Registered
3,549 Posts
Yes Jim,
If you know you will only fish that state once that year, the 3 day or week is a good way to go.
Most states you can buy one online and print it out for immediate use. As soon as I got down here to Virginia On March 1st, I found out where the nearest Walmart was. The next day I bought my Non-Resident license there. Two days later I was on a dock fishing for the first time and got stopped by a Game Warden to check my license. The good thing about Virginia licenses is that they are good for twelve months from the day you buy them. Not issued from January to December. Some states like NJ have licences that no matter what month you buy them in they expire on December 31st. Some states also have the license printed on waterproof paper which is nice, which to me is the only downfall for printing it out yourself. But in a pinch, better to have a paper license then a paper citation.

· Registered
3,549 Posts
I think all states should adopt the 12 month from when purchased policy. They would certainly sell more licenses. Some folks don't even think of fishing until late spring or summer and are not going to buy one in June if they are told it will only be good for six months.
The newest rage in collecting money from us is making you register for the National Saltwater Angler Registry. I think this is now required when fishing from the bank for saltwater specie in about 30+ states. At the moment it was free, but I can see the writing on the wall that states like NJ who don't at present have a Salt water fishing license requirement, will eventually have one. I don't even mind putting out a reasonable fee for a Saltwater licence as long as the revenue is used for things like ramp building and maintenance, etc. Not a State slush fund to be used for things not related to fishing.
:tbh: :flag2: :tbh:

· Registered
2 Posts
f. (1) Any person found hunting, fishing or trapping without the proper license or tag as may be required conspicuously displayed pursuant to subsection b. of this section shall be liable to a penalty of $10 and costs, to be recovered pursuant to the provisions of Title 23, chapter 10, of the Revised Statutes.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts