Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, being as I have no silocone skirt tabs yet I was bound and determined to create a decent and usable living rubber skirt.. after all.. I bought pouonds of the stuff a couple months ago. Im sure some of you may recall my rubber confetti fiasco lol ( http://www.thebassholes.com/bassin-forums/index.php?topic=20481.0 )

Well, i finally pulled it off...

just a bit of red ingenuity and I was golden lol

I took a pair of hemostats and slid a skirt band over it... then I opened the hemostats, which in turn stretched open the skirt band. I then clamped the open hemostats down in my vise... now I had a skirt band stretched open about a 1/2 inch locked in my vice. Then I took my first color rubber and rolled it up and made a nice little flat log out of it and stuffed it through using a long skinny needle nose pair of pliers to assist. Then I made another little log of rubber iwth my second color and stuck the needle nose back through and opened them up a grabbed that "log" and pulled it through. did the same for the final color.. and tada! I had a living rubber skirt.

Seperating the strands I figured out too... again... ******* ingenuity and my handy vise... I clamed the skirt band in the vise and pulled and stretched the strands a section at a time then slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwly cut them with a pair of scissors and as I did, the strands seperated so nicely :D Then when done I flipped t he skirt around the vise and did the other side.

here is the end result :D

Im so excited. It was a lot more work than just slipping a silicone skirt through a skirt tool and pulling it out and cutting the tab off but I love living rubber so much I think the extra effort was worth it.

[smg id=1390]

[smg id=1391]

yes that is the most fish catchingest color there ever was in a jig ;) lol

Oh.. I tried to t ie the skirt on but that didnt turn out so good for me...

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Jared, that jig looks just awesome! Hey, I believe the "Mop Jig" uses living rubber rather than silicon and the pros swear by the action of the living rubber. You may never do another silicon skirt in your fishing life. Good work.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Beer980 said:
So you cut about 1/2" off each side to release the material? How far in from the end is the material fused that is not usable?
Beer I buy it by the 1 and 2 pound rolls. It is all fused. I cut off what ever I need for the size jig I am making. If I want 4" of skirt I cut off 5 inch strips and waste about 1/2" off each end.

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jig Man said:
I cut off what ever I need for the size jig I am making. If I want 4" of skirt I cut off 5 inch strips and waste about 1/2" off each end.
Im glad you said that JigMan because thats what I did last night. I figured that I was doing it wrong but also figured "hey it works" lol

And yes I poured a bunch of new heads last night and I am going to leave the weedguard off as you suggested to me in another thread. After trying to wind wire around a skirt last night, I completely understand the reasoning lol

do you know what guauge wire you use?

also, do you epoxy it or anything after you wind it?

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I think you could use a 26 g. wire from a hwd store. I am using wire out of a worn out table saw motor. It burned out in 1998 and I think it still has 10 more years of wire left in it. The reason it looks big is it has a coating of plastic or something on it. The coating is too much trouble to take off and the fish don't care.

Jared, I do the wrap, cut off the ends and bend them down. There is on need to do anything else to them if you get a good tight pull to begin with. That wilre will last for 132 years and doesn't come loose. :D

·
Premium Member
11,453 Posts
That is an awesome skirt Jared. I think living rubber will out fish silicone anyday, much more lifelike. Great Job. I would love to get my hands on some of these living rubber skirts. :thumbup01: :thumbup01: :thumbup01:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.