Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just remember something that I did back in the mid 90s when I first moved down to SC, that made me so embarassed!

I was fishing a federation tournament on Lake Murray. I was paired with a guy who I had never met, which is usually the case. As a yankee in dixie land I still stood out VERY much back then so I felt I had to show them that it didnt matter where I was raid I could fish with the best of them lol One of the first things that guy said to me when we spoke was "you aint from around here are ya?" lol Exactly what I had expected lol

Well... I dont think we had been out that long, and we were fishing a grassy hump with spinner baits. I had a 5'6" medium action composite rod that I LOVED for spinnerbaits. It was paired up with a nice daiwa baitcaster. I had made a few casts and I had lost a fish who hit short and before I knew it, my end of the boat was drifting further away from the sweet spot and his end was nosing into it. He was front-ending me. I HATE that crap!
So I decided to try and chunk my bait out as far as I could to reach where the first hit short again. My rod had a pistol grip handle on it and when I chunked it for all I was worth, the rod went FLYYYYyyyyyyyyingggggggg out of my hand! LOL! It went SPLASH! I was sooooooooo embarassed and mad because it sunk like a rock lol My boater got a good laugh from it. He asked me if that was some "Yankee Trick". lol

The only good thing about it is that it landed rght in the sweet spot! I thought it was hysterical because it totally spooked the fish that were there. I didnt ask my boater what he thoght of it but I could tell once he realized the bite there was gone that he was a bit upset. Served that front-ending SOB right! lol

I wish I could say that was the only time I ever threw a rod out like that but its not lol I have done it 3 times total lol Another time during a winter tournament when my fingers were NUMB lol The 3rd time was a couple decades ago and i was in a canoe and I caught one rod with the other and flipped the hooked rod out of the canoe and into the air. lol It sucked! lol

So how bout yall? Im sure yall have some embarassing moments to share? Let's hear them! :)

Jared

·
Premium Member
17,930 Posts
Well, I cant recall any off hand while in a tournament. BUT just out fishing, got a few for sure.

When me and my buddy Kenny flipped his john boat. I threw a spinnerbait in some moss in a tree ( I was after a squirrel I seen... Thats my story lol ) I stood up to get it, and I reckon he was leaning the same way. I went sailing out and he went over with the boat.

·
Premium Member
13,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fish4FunInFl said:
I threw a spinnerbait in some moss in a tree ( I was after a squirrel I seen... Thats my story lol  )
I totally know what ya mean! We often fish for squirrels here around my area too. They seem to like that Spanish Moss ;) LOL!

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
A buddy and I took a 8' jon boat out once. We had turned it over to dump all the junk out of it loaded it in a truck and drove for about 2 miles. Picture this. The weight limit for the boat was 400lbs. We had two men about 205 each, 12 rods, 4 tackle boxes, trolling motor, and two batteries in this boat. As long as we sat in the middle we still had about 2 inches of boat out of the water so we were good. We fished for three hours went to the bank, drained the water which meant completely unloading the boat and turning over again. So we're off and at 'em again. About an hour later, my buddy wen to grab his lunch box. I see him snap straight up really quick and his face paled. He says,"There's a big snake under the middle bench!" I just looked at him like he was crazy. We had flipped this boat over three times already how can this be? Well, I had to see for myself so I picked up my tackle box and sure enough there it was. We put everything around that bench seat and headed for shore. 20 yards from the bank the snake came out and claimed his boat. No need to discuss it. It was his. We both bailed and swamped the boat. As everything was slowly sinking, in about 5 foot of water the snake swam right by us causing another panic. We spent the rest of the day getting the boat out of the water and all our tackle. We lost 4 rods, a tackle box, and a battery. Snake was roughly about 20' long. Or at least it seemed that way.
-Joe

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
I'd have to say the best moment for me is I was standing in a pretty urban spot with a buddy of mine, completely surrounded by people from all angles. We were on shore and I was just teaching him some different casts. Well he tried flippin' and wasnt very good at it, so I stood up all "matter of factly" and informed him "now THIS is how you flip".. well right as I stood up, my pants fell right down to my ankles! LOL!!! Serves me right for being so cocky that day, LMAO

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have had far to many to post. They range from take a 6' wave over the bow and snapping the butt seat off and drenching my co-angler as he tried to secure the damaged trolling motor to making a co-angler do the splits at the boat dock when he froze half way between the boat and dock.

Way many more...if I get time I will try to list them all.

cbs

·
Registered
801 Posts
joegoudeau said:
A buddy and I took a 8' jon boat out once. We had turned it over to dump all the junk out of it loaded it in a truck and drove for about 2 miles. Picture this. The weight limit for the boat was 400lbs. We had two men about 205 each, 12 rods, 4 tackle boxes, trolling motor, and two batteries in this boat. As long as we sat in the middle we still had about 2 inches of boat out of the water so we were good. We fished for three hours went to the bank, drained the water which meant completely unloading the boat and turning over again. So we're off and at 'em again. About an hour later, my buddy wen to grab his lunch box. I see him snap straight up really quick and his face paled. He says,"There's a big snake under the middle bench!" I just looked at him like he was crazy. We had flipped this boat over three times already how can this be? Well, I had to see for myself so I picked up my tackle box and sure enough there it was. We put everything around that bench seat and headed for shore. 20 yards from the bank the snake came out and claimed his boat. No need to discuss it. It was his. We both bailed and swamped the boat. As everything was slowly sinking, in about 5 foot of water the snake swam right by us causing another panic. We spent the rest of the day getting the boat out of the water and all our tackle. We lost 4 rods, a tackle box, and a battery. Snake was roughly about 20' long. Or at least it seemed that way.
-Joe
That's some funny stuff there! Not about losing the gear though...

·
Premium Member
13,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
joegoudeau said:
20 yards from the bank the snake came out and claimed his boat. No need to discuss it. It was his...............
Snake was roughly about 20' long. Or at least it seemed that way.
-Joe
ROFLMAO Joe! OMG Im so sorry to laugh at that but man I cant help it! Im laughing so hard my eyes are blurry from tears LOL!!

Thank you for sharing that story! :clap:

Here's to no more freeloading bossy snakes taking over our boats! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
13,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rich said:
I'd have to say the best moment for me is I was standing in a pretty urban spot with a buddy of mine, completely surrounded by people from all angles. We were on shore and I was just teaching him some different casts. Well he tried flippin' and wasnt very good at it, so I stood up all "matter of factly" and informed him "now THIS is how you flip".. well right as I stood up, my pants fell right down to my ankles! LOL!!! Serves me right for being so cocky that day, LMAO
LMAO Rich!!!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Back a few years ago my sister got married the night before a scheduled club tournament. I stayed way too late as I am one never to turn down a good time. Well the next day bright and early we were waiting to take off, me with my size 23 extremely hung over head. I felt it coming and I told my partner that I new I was gonna be sick to turn the other way. ??? :-\ :'( This lasted for about two hours untill I finally was able to half ass fish. I caught two little keepers and won the tournament and to this day they still accuse me of chumming the fish up. >:D

·
Registered
801 Posts
I'm laughing my but off! That's funny!

·
Registered
635 Posts
That wasn't chumming, that was a brilliant strategic move. Like male humans, once theyv'e had a pint of liquor, male bass don't care what they pick up as long as it's moving. :cheers: :fish: :idea: :spam01:

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
A few years back I was fishing a tuesday night tourny. I had a new partner who claimed he was the best you ever saw.(turn out to be full of BS) He just insisted on starting out in soap creek on this little pocket he knew of. I never started out on that end of the lake and didn't know it that well. However this guy was the best you ever saw so I bit and we went to his water. We get there and there is one dock in this pocket and we were flipping docks (clue) I said if were flipping docks don't you think we ought to have docks to flip? He said just wait this dock is the bomb. I said OK your the best I ever saw. So we creep up on this dock and start to pitch and flip it. I noticed that under the bow of the cabin cruiser thats sitting on the dock is two pairs of feet and long legs on top of each other. I said to my partner what the hell do we have here? He said I don't know but lets creep to the other side and check it out. I'll never forget the look on his face as the boat slid to the other side of the dock and revealed two naked men kissing each other!!! Needless to say we didn't catch a fish in the tourny and I never went fishing with him or in soap creek again. Peace out. Drew

·
Registered
41 Posts
I can relate to the snake in the boat I was fishing out of a jon boat we keep by a pond on our deer camp property last summer. I had been out about an hour when I heard something in the middle of the boat, out from under the middle seat came a very large black snake and it seemed he wanted the front seat with me. Well the good lord blessed me with a high tolerance of snakes (had that been a big spider though it would have been on) Luckly I had a heavy action rod in my hand and was able to flip the snake out of the boat, "Whew". Well, that ole snake did not like the water and wanted back in his boat and the lowest point was the front end of the boat where I was sitting, across the side of the boat and my thigh he came, between my legs and back to his place under the middle seat, well the only thing that saved me was it happened so fast I did not have time to capsize us, us being me and the snake. I fished the rest of the afternoon with the snake occasionally peaking out from under the seat.

·
Registered
801 Posts
(had that been a big spider though it would have been on)
I feel the same way. I can deal with snakes but show me a spider and I'm done!

·
Banned
539 Posts
Drew you are too much. SOAP creek, two guys - LMAO

Super stories and creditable as well, glad to see I may be normal after all. Been there done most of that as well. Way to funny.

I will try and remember one not already listed here to post latter.

Thanks for the mid afternoon pick-er-uper

·
Registered
543 Posts
Last fall I decided to try fly fishing with my dad. Now, I am quite horrible with a fly rod in my hand -- I make a few casts, get a couple of knots in my leader, get pissed and fall into the river, filling my hip boots with water. 2007 was different. I rented a couple of fly fishing DVDs from Netflix, watched some shows on Versus, hell, I even watched "A River Runs Through It." I was prepared. My dad rigged me an old Cortland fly rod and we headed up for our annual trip to Pittsburg, New Hampshire. There a stretch of the Connecticut River called the "trophy run" where everybody fishes. We decided to go there. Before we headed out, my dad took stock of my old fly collection. I had one Orvis folder with a couple of nymphs as well as a couple of boxes of other flies, including a couple of nice craw looking dealies that I planned on using later that night at one of our honey holes. My dad said, "Hey, put all your flies in that folder." To which I replied, "Even these ones I have no intention of using?" He said yes. I think you see where this is going ...

We get to the river and blaze a trail in. My dad moves down stream and I take the opposite direction. I make a couple of casts and catch a couple of leaves, line dropping in a giant clump. About a half hour goes by and I go to switch flies. I rest the bottom of the rod on a rock in the river and grab my clippers and my fly folder. As soon as I open the folder, the rod starts to slip. I grab the line with my right hand and my left hand -- holding the flies -- goes in for back up. I save the rod but the fly folder goes straight up in the air. I try to grab it but I bat it back up in the air and it lands in the river. I dive after it with both hands, only to see it scoot downstream toward Long Island Sound. The F bomb I dropped startled all the moose, chipmunks and woodpeckers in a three-mile radius. I slunked back to my dad and promptly thanked him for his advice.

On a related note, the fishing trip got off to a bully start when I had a little too much to drink at a work function. A dozen or so beers and three plastic cups of red wine still counts as a "little too much" right? After falling in the bushes three times and drunk dialing every girl in my cell phone on the way home from the subway, I finally made it to bed at 12:55. The only problem is that my dad was picking me up at 1:00 am. After five minutes of sleep, my dad shook me out of bed. I thought it was a home invasion so I took a swing at him. He was not pleased. We went to the 24 hour Dunkin' Donuts up the street and a bar fight spilled out on the street. Have you ever seen a cop chase a fat girl across a busy city street at 1:30 in the morning? Awesome! I passed out as soon as we hit the highway. Five hours later, I had to promise never to drink before leaving on a fishing trip again. So far, so good.

Jay Fat City

1 - 20 of 29 Posts