Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always cut my fluro leader to length and then tie my palomar knot, because I always end up with the hook up side down if I don't, and then tie the leader to the main line.
Now I have my reel spooled with all fluro and had to tie, cut, re-tie 4 times today just to get my
hook facing up. What the heck am I doing wrong? I tried starting with the hook facing up and down. I think it may have something to do with looping the last loop over the barb side instead of the back of the hook. Pretty frustrating. :cussin:

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
I tie my hook on using a palomar knot and leave a 4 foot tag line, after i finish tying the knot i bring the tag line back threw the eye of the hook which makes it stand up in the proper postion, then i apply a dab of crazy glue to stop it from moving on the eye and flipping the hook. :canada:

·
Premium Member
11,455 Posts
If you tie the polamar knot on the hook with the point of the hook facing up, it should always come out facing up. Then run the tag end back down through the hook eye again with the point of the hook still facing up. That should make the hook stand out point up. Thats just the way I do it and it comes out right for me every time.

·
Premium Member
4,943 Posts
What Mark said. I use the palomar knot and have not had the problem of breaking that Frank Scalish was describing in a video. I might try Martins double uni though since I have a lot of time to pratice it.
Rodney

·
Registered
112 Posts
Oldfart9999 said:
What Mark said. I use the palomar knot and have not had the problem of breaking that Frank Scalish was describing in a video. I might try Martins double uni though since I have a lot of time to pratice it.
Rodney
That double uni is a nice knot. It definitely takes some practice to do it though. It's a PIA at first trying to get all of the wraps to pull down straight.

There are plenty of great options for a drop shot knot. Tie whatever you feel comfortable with. Have confidence with what you use. Whichever you decide on, take the time to learn how to tie it right. There is nothing worse than losing a fish because of a bad knot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts