Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if anybody here is using the wave cast systems spinning reel. Was just wondering what are the likes and dislikes of the reel..

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
macbass said:
Was wondering if anybody here is using the wave cast systems spinning reel. Was just wondering what are the likes and dislikes of the reel..
Ive heard nothing but good about them by those who I have met who have had the chance to use them. I know a couple Bassholes have used them/own them. I am sure they will chime in when they see your question.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have them, two of them.

Now lemme tell you the hole story.....If you check out my sponsor page on http://www.bassinfool.com , you'll see that WaveCast is a sponsor of mine, but I am primarily a Baitcast kind of guy.

Doug is a friend of mine, and when I told him I was going to be at the 2007 Classic, he asked me to check out this new reel he had, if I liked it, he wanted me to help him at his booth. I said sure........a week later a box came via UPS I opened it up and a plain white box saying prototype not for resale was in the bottom. I opened that then scratched my head. Doug had sent me a spinning reel, no markings just a black reel with what looked like a fat skillsaw blade for a spool.......I didn't even own a rod to put it on. I contacted Challenger Performance Tackle and told them I'd be needing a spinning rod and they set me up. I called Doug and said look man, I haven't even thrown one of these since I birdnested my dad's when I was 8 or 9 and the butt whippin I got drove me away from them. He told me to relax, I wouldn't be able to do that.......I told him I didn't know if he knew me well enough to say that.

So I took it to the lake, and threw weightless soft plastics into the wind........and he was right! Not only that, but I was throwing farther than I ever was able to with my baitcasters and no birdnests.......Now I put this thing to the test, there was 50 lb. braid on this reel and I threw it exclusively for two weeks with no birdnests. I called Doug back and told him I'd be happy to work his display booth at the classic.......

When I got to the classic, I got the Paul Harvey version of the WaveCast. Doug was trying to design a reel that would cast farther than a standard spinning reel. He got to thinking about physics, [a class I never appreciated in school, thinking I would never use this stuff] and put the principle of a boat hull on water versus line spooling off a spool. Think about it......your boat runs faster on chop because the hull is skipping across the top of the chop rather than the drag of water on the hull. He said if he could design a reel spool with waves, the line should skip across the top of the metal chop allowing line to spool off fater for a longer cast. The results were about a 30% increase in distance on a simular rod, reel and line sized outfit. The Paul Harvey is, after 4 days of field testing the reels, Doug realized he hadn't had a birdnest and asked the 5 other people if they had. They all said come to think of it they hadn't.......And thus the concept when into production and I stumbled into it.

The reel is all it is advertized and if you buy it and don't like yours, email me and I'll buy it back from you!

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If there are any shop owners that are interested in stock this reel feel fre to contact us at www.shamrockrodandreel.com either by mail or phone that is posted on the web site. tell them where you seen this at and they will get all the information to you on the reel. or you can pm me I can do the same from here. We are the national distributors for this reel everything will go thru us. If you are looking for them retail contact us and will will tell you who is stocking them in your area. We will not sell retail. thank you denny mcallister

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
I have a wavecast reel and I am having a little trouble figuring out how much new line to re-spool with. At what point do I stop loading new line onto the reel? Do I load up to the "wave" or is there some other majic point where I stop loading new line?

On a traditional spinning reel, new line should be loaded to about 1/8th of an inch from the edge of the spool lip, but the wave lip on this reel seems to throw this formula in the dust bin. So, for those of you who have one of these, what is the re-spooling word?

·
Registered
58 Posts
It should look overfilled on the Wavecast. Fill it to about 3/4 full of the ridge on the waves.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hawghunter dont be affraid to fill it up with in an 1/8 inch from the bottom of the spool. it can handle it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts