Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are a lot of doubled line knots for flourocarbon being used on the pro trail. This is one of them.

Best Knot for Fluorocarbon

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
A really good video with nice close ups.
One question I have is would this knot work well with Mono or Braid as well ?

·
Premium Member
11,453 Posts
Thats a really clear, and informative video, easy to follow as he tied the knot. Great work Jared!! :thumbup01: :thumbup01:

·
Registered
747 Posts
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbup01: :thumbup01: :thumbup01:...now I have to practice a hundred times to get this one right but it works great !!!

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
looks like a good option

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
That is very sweet looking video. Thanks for getting this posted up here for everyone. :thumbup01: :thumbup01: :thumbup01:

·
Premium Member
4,943 Posts
stealthfisher said:
A really good video with nice close ups.
One question I have is would this knot work well with Mono or Braid as well ?
Short answer, yes.
Rodney

·
Premium Member
17,927 Posts
Me and my wife watched the video a few times, then she went to teach me how to tie it lol I'm finally getting the hang of it, but still do it awkward. ( I am still working on it as I have line and a hook on my desk )

Now I need to hook some fish to get some confidence in it.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
this knot is a pain in the butt to tie. I certainly hope it is worth it. I have to find something different as my old fluoro knot keeps failing me.

Lunchbox

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is a pain at first but it gets easier. But try a double palomar. I have been using that lately with success. However, it is easier with smaller line, once you start to get up in the lb test it becomes hard to get the 2nd loop through the hook eye.

·
Premium Member
2,608 Posts
Wow. What a coincidence. I was looking for knots to tie for fluorocarbon yesterday when I was tying on a hook and found this video on youtube. I used this knot, and yes it did take me a couple of times to get. It sure is a PAIN to tie, but I think it is going to be worth it in the long run. At least I hope so. Also, after doing it 5 times or so, ya kinda begin to get the hang of it. Key being, I did not say PERFECT it, I said get the hang of it haha.

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
Jared there are several variations of the double Palomar knot. One that I've used does not have a double loop through the eye but through the loop. I'll see if I can find a link showing how it's done.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I have the knot down. Now what is bothering me about it is how wasteful it is. I wind up throwing away a lot of fluorocarbon. This is not a huge issue as i am not changing my lures a lot. When i tie on i have confidence in that lure, but it still bugs me to throw away so much expensive line. I suppose i will just keep knocking this dude out, as the knot is VERY strong.

Brandon

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's the one thing I don't like too. Brandon. You do waste a lot of line. I see no way around that. But yes, it is a SUPER strong knot.

What really sucks is when you have a fluorocarbon leader. Every time you have to retie you are using at least a foot of that leader up. And when you get down to only 3 or 4 foot of leader, well, scrap that 3 or 4 foot of line too because now the leader is too short. And if you're using Tatsu or FC Sniper, that's an expensive few feet of line to be throwing away.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I have had nothing but good luck with the ol improved clinch knot. I will not sway from using it. When attaching a fluoro leader to braid, I have started using the alberto knot and LOVE it. very strong and very easy to tie. I used to use uni to uni and the alberto is easier and stronger according to knot wars.

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
Ditto on the Alberto knot Derek.... stop giving out all the secrets brother! ;)

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
LOL....if it can help folks outing puting and extra bass or 2 in the boat then that is good enough for me. :thumbup01:

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
Spoken like a GREAT coach!!! ;)

I actually use the Alberto for line to line connections for my backer line and leaders. It makes a good small profiled know and the tag ends can be trimmed close.....

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I found a new knot for flourocarbon! You waste NO Line and it is VERY VERY Easy to tie and it is AMAZINGLY strong! Be on the look out for the video of it from me very soon.

:tu

1 - 20 of 24 Posts