Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone out there throw cranks with custom colors? I have seen a lot of great paint jobs of forage for my area, just wondering if they are worth the price?

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
bluerock bass said:
Does anyone out there throw cranks with custom colors? I have seen a lot of great paint jobs of forage for my area, just wondering if they are worth the price?
I throw quite a few of them... :thumbup01: ... You can catch fish on any color though. Not saying that it's all I throw but sometime's you can get in a position where that color is all they want. Example, here in FL the golden shiner is probably the best bait for big fish. I have one of just about every crank I like to throw painted in that pattern and they have caught ton's of fish for me when nothing else is working. Not to mention it's kind of a confidence booster. If I know I'm going to fish where's there's ton's of shiner's and I'm throwing a custom shiner it will keep your confidence up for sure. Sometime's there not worth the big money though. Alot of the really high dollar bait's are going to collector's.. You'd be suprised just how many people all over the world collect lure's and custom lures...

·
Premium Member
11,455 Posts
As soon as I get mine sent off to thecrankincracker, I will be throwing a custom crankbait, and I cant wait. I think anytime you can show them something they are not used to seeing it will help generate bites. Im going to send him some more of my old baits, and get them repainted, thecrankincracker has some great patterns on his site. :thumbup01: :clap: :thumbup01:

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
I have never thrown them since the price is such a huge turn off for me. I think there are enough colors and patterns out there already to catch the fish. There are some awesome awesome colors put together by some really talented people though. Would love to see some of those patterns thrown on some of my favorite lures.

I think a lot of lures catch more anglers than fish!!!

·
Registered
13,776 Posts
bluerock bass said:
I throw alot of custom painted cranks...There are alot of custom painted crankbaits out there to be had...Some fairly nicely priced, others alot more expensive.

My personal best Smallmouth came on a custom painted Rapala that Barry at Crankincracker painted up for me...It was an old lure, that was beat up, that most people would have thrown away...I had Barry re-paint it for me, I put on new split rings and new hooks and it is better than new, has boated many fish for me ever since...cost wise, only about $4 -5 dollars more than a lure you would buy at your local tackle shop, because I provided the lure.

One thing about custom crankbiats that I find nice is I can have multiple body styles painted up in a particular colors/patterns that have produced well for me in the past. How many times have you had a lure that outfished others, to suddenly lose it and not be able to locate that same color on that same lure style?
I had 4 different body styles custom painted with the same unique pattern..Something i would never find on the shelves anywhere. They all have produced fish for me, and I have 100% confidence in this color pattern when I throw any 1 of the 4 body styles I have it painted on....Once again, for not that much more money than what I would pay off the shelf, but now it's in the colors and patterns of my choice.

If people will pay $15 - $25 for a lure out of the box, why not pay $12 -$15 (that includes shipping costs) to have them custom painted in the colors and patterns of your choice? (That price is based on you providing the lure.)

Yes, there are tons of colors out there to choose from off the shelf, and many will catch fish....That goes without saying, and yes, more lures catch anglers than fish, but we will all keep buying them anyway, won't we??

But, I'll tell you this, over the past 2 yrs, I have boated many, many fish on my custom cranks, with 2 of them being my personal bests in 2 different species.
I have one particular color pattern on one particular lure, that in a 2 day stretch (with witnesses) I caught 5 different species of fish...Walleye, Smallies, Largies, Pike, Musky...All on the exact same lure...

I know I'll keep using them with those kind of results. And when I need more, the person I will always turn to first is Barry at TheCrankinCracker!

[smg id=2889]

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
Nice review Morgan. I plan on getting some custom crankbaits in the near future. Hope they produce for me as they have you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have some custom painted crankbaits that have out produced box lures at times and it gives you the oppurtunity to give the fish something they haven't seen. I've had a couple painted by thecrankincracker.com that were well worth the money. Purchased pletny of them off ebay as well with much success. Funny we'll sometimes spend $100 on a reel and $150 or up for a rod but $15-17 is too much for a lure.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Custom cranks are the way to go. I have over 200 from different painters. They have their own tacklebox. Barry the crankincracker does an awsome job! I like to send some of my productive lures that the paint is worn off to get re-painted. Did that with a Rebel deep wee-R. My personal best bass, 10lb 3 ozs, came on it. Not bad for a northern Ohio fish. Sent it out and got it repainted in a purple glitter gill and first time out got 2 over 9lbs on it.

Customs give the fish a look they've never seen, and you can customize the color to your area and forage. They're worth the extra money, I've spent $50 on one red eye shad before and it was worth it. I've also went swimming to get my lures back!

I've designed my own color for crashing timber and Casey from 6th Sense Lure Painting did it for me. It is incredible in the wood and stumps. It's a Lucky Craft RC 1.5--silent--in the "crank of death" color. I'll probably regret posting this, but here it is anyway. There's not that many Ohio guys on here, so I think I'm safe to post it. Only 1 other person has one of these up here besides me, and only a handful know about it. But I'm sure some of you will contact Casey and get some of these. If you like to fish squarebills in the timber, there's no better bait or color.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,455 Posts
Thats a really unique color, I like that. :thumbup01: :clap: :clap: :clap:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Seriously, it's incredible. You can copy the pics and send them to any painter. I don't care, just wanted to share this. I've been sitting on it for about 4 years, time to let some others have some fun!! :D But I've noticed the silent runner outproduces the rattling version in the same color, even in muddy/stained water.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I paint custom crankbaits, I do prefer them over store bought baits. I like mine to be realistic instead of a two color bait. Some people say its a confidence thing but, I personally think they do catch more.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The Bluegill Sunfish Panfish Tilapia

The lure has a length of 4 inches or 10cms and segmented into six distinct sections that permit it to sink slowly yet steadily.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts