Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1 lb peeled crawfish tails
2 sticks of Butter (Real butter folks, don't skimp on this dish it's worth the cholesterol)
1 large Yellow onion chopped
1 large green bell pepper chopped
1 handfull of chopped green onions (just the green part)
1 tsp minced garlic
1 1/2 to 2 TBS of Roux
3 TBS of Tomato Sauce
6 shakes from a Lea & Perrins Worchestershire Bottle
half a cup of water

Spices:

Salt
Cajun spice mix
Red Pepper
White Pepper (no flavor just heat)

Sautee Yellow onion and Bell Pepper in butter until the onions are clear (cooked) Bell peppers should look olive beige color. Add water to cool cut back to low heat. Stir in Roux and Tomato Sause, shake that Lea and Perrins Bottle, then spice to taste. When you get the flavor you want, add Crafish tails and green onions and cover. check on it about every 5 minutes stirring and ensuring cooking. When crawfish tails are balled up (generally about 10 - 15 minutes) serve over rice.

If you really want to get tricky, serve over a batter dipped and fried filet of your favorite fish rather than rice.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Man that Lake Fork Lodge is a first rate establishment. Much nicer than most of the fishing lodges I've stayed in!

G

·
RGDoherty said:
Man that Lake Fork Lodge is a first rate establishment. Much nicer than most of the fishing lodges I've stayed in!
It was a blast staying there this year. Great, clean place.

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
We tried this recipe and all I can say is it'll make a rabbit chase a dog it's so good. But making it was a challenge. I located all but one ingredient right away. Nobody in WalMart knew where the Roux was. I checked at Kroger, and several other stores. Nobody knew who might carry it. About a week later I figured I could buy some on the internet. :wack: I found hundreds of recipes, and had all the ingredients all along :rofl1: We call it gravy stock over here. :dance01: Add some water or milk, salt & pepper, cook it down thick and ya have something nice to go over some home-made catfaced bisquits.

I made it brown, plan to try it with blackened roux since I like blackened fish fillets.

Jim

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No No, don't burn your Roux. I make my Roux up about once every 3 months. I make enough to jar and put in the fridge. It keeps for that 3 months without a problem. Here's how I make a roux.

Cooking oil in a black iron skillet
medium heat under it
add flour until a thick paste is made in the skillet,
Then lovingly stand over that thing stirring with a wooden spoon til Medium to dark brown and the kiitchen smells like Roux.

Don't stop stirring, burnt Roux is a bad batch.

Glad you liked the Etoufee!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Thanks for the recipe Rob. I had homemade (fresh catch) shrimp etoufee' a few weeks ago over white rice that was absolutely awesome and I was wondering what all was in it. This had more of a white sauce though. I will see if I can get that recipe.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds more like a Bisque Shannon. I've never thought of serving that over rice, I'll have to try that out.

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
thanks for teh recipe Rob! I never knew how to make a roux.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Rob, They said it was similiar to bisque, but called it etoufee'. What do I know, we're all just different types of ********!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Where are you guys located? Crawfish etoufee is a normal thing around the Breaux Bridge, La area. There are about as many different recipes and ingredients to cooking crawfish and shrimp etoufee as there is gumbo.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm from South Mississippi, but my cooking goes back to a college Roommates of mine's Grandmother from Pierre Part, LA.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts