Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Crankbaits

If a crankbait runs off to the right or left, swim it two or three times to gauge how bad it is off. Now you need to hold it up, take time out to inspect it from varying angles. It could be one of the belly or tail hook hangers are off center. Try righting them first, if they look askew. Usually, you want these components to be straight. A misaligned belly or tail hook hanger usually will not throw a plastic crank too far off tune. On wood cranks however, belly or tail screw eyes and even belly weights inserted off-center can be career-ending injuries for a wood crankbait.

There are times that adjusting the belly and hook hangers will bring a side-swimming crank back into compliance. So always attempt to align them first.

Most often, it proves to be the line tie eye that you need to bend to correct a side-swimmer. On cranks with diving lips, you bend the line tie eye to the opposite side of the list (deviant direction of swim). This is a tricky operation since you risk loosening the eye out of the plastic, and ruining the crankbait completely. So do it slowly and more with nudges and gentle squeezes than with hard twists using a needlenose pliers. Consequently, the fewer times you have to bend the line tie eye, the better. :soda:

Bassmasterfitz.com

G

·
Re: Crankbaits

Thanks for sharing the information. Those are some good tips. I'm going to have to practice more with crankbaits. I just don't have confidence in them.

:fishing01: :fishing02:

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts

Actually you bend the line tie on the crank bait bill "toward" the direction the lure is running to. If it runs to the right, bend the eye slightly to the right. Todays cranks rarely run poorly. I remove the split rings that are supplied with crank baits and prefer using a Berkley light weight snap. I have tried everything on the market and the simple Berkley snap works the best for me.
Tom
note, I realized after posting this that the topic was the hand lure being crafted. Don't try to tune a screw eye in Balsa wood. I made some early recommendations regarding this project and you may want to reread those.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I have had some new crankbaits that i have to tune everytime i buy them and tune them good to get them to swim right, starts with a N. Im not here to bash them but i only own about 12 of them and i dont think any of them swim right, out of the box .

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts

Good topic. This one needs to come up often. There is no telling how many angler hours are wasted fishing a de-tuned crankbait. Bass are much smarter than that. We need to remove all imperfections in all lure presentations.

I've learned never to turn a lie tie eye, else it does in fact loosen and will wallow out the lure material holding it, especially light wood. The bending side to side needs to be gentle as noted by bassmasterfitz, but so subtly the change can't be seen. The change is best felt as you are leaning the eye over either direction. If you can see it bend you have leaned it too much and risk failure of the eye screw. If it takes so much bending you can see the change, discard the lure. Bend a little until you feel it did bend, then try it out.

One knock against a hard object can de-tune it. Quality lures these days come swim-tested, but that lasts only until the lure hits a rock or tree.

Large lures with large diameter screw hardware can take more abuse. When fishing docks with a Zara Spook I start the day making two up to swim one of the two dock sides. One I bend considerably to deliberately de-tune it to walk a little sideways, angling toward the dock and under it when retrieved. The other is set to hobble the opposite direction, skittering towards the dock and under it. Each gets tied onto its own rod for easy transition while passing a dock. You can do that with hard jerkbaits like a Smithwick, too. Bass are accustomed to seeing artificials coasting parallel to a dock, but not angling under it.

Jim

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts

This can get a Little deep into what is the difference between a crank bait that catches bass verses runs straight. Mostly you need to narrow down the field to diving cranks verses all lures that you retrieve fairly fast.
Diving crank baits that run between 5 to 20 feet usually have diving bills that are either built in or added on. The vast majority are the added on verity, a molded bill cemented to the lure body. If the line attachment is a threaded in screw eye, don't try to bend it. If the line tie is a molded in wire loop, then you can bend it with a needle nose plier to tune it to run straight at fast retrieve speeds.
The hook hangers are usually the same type of hardware as the front line tie, screw eye or molded in wire on plastic body lures and a wire frame with loops place between two halves are also common for both wood and plastic lures. You should not bend screw eyes period. You can add a drop of super glue and re tighten so the eye is exactly vertical. If a crank bait rolls over when retrieved, discard it or if new return it, it's not worth the effort to try and make run true.
Rolling happens when the lure balance is bad or the bill is on crooked. Rolling can also occur if the hooks tangle or the line tangles with the hooks, this you can easily fix. Bending the rear hook hanger can help a little if the front tuning doesn't work. Adding over size hooks, size 2 for size 4 on the front and/or back can help.
Bomber model A's, Fat Raps and Wiggle Warts tend to be almost indestructible and stay tuned well. Bagley, Normans, Bandits all work good and need a little TLC once in awhile. These are factory mass produced lures and run a little differently from lure to lure. I don't use LC deep divers, so no comment. I do have a few pet crank baits that catch bass better than all the other lures of the same make and model. To me they all run the basically the same, fairly true and straight, except the pet lures catch bass consistently. Why, only the bass know for sure. When you discover a lure that is a bass catcher, keep it separated form the rest and don't lend it to anyone, it's your pet lure.
Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts