Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
Just want to remind anyone reading this information to keep in mind that this effort was put together during the 15 year period between 1959 to 1974 from my experiences during that time. I was asked to do some bass fishing seminars and needed a visual aid to discuss bass behavior as I knew it. This also pre dates In-Fisherman magazine and I did offer the information to Al Linder and is one reason why they published a few of my articles. This is pioneering stuff thats over 33 years old, from "Oldschool".
If you can understand it, I will answer any questions you may have about this.
Tom

K

·
0 Posts
Ok Tom, I will bite. Not sure I grasp this circle thing you have here. I read the 3 page letter and it says colors. The circle drawing is black and white. I also can't read allot of what is written in it.

From what I gather this is an attempt to show what bass do during certain times of the year. Is this correct? Also, in Texas and in Florida bass spawn in a little warmer water then what you indicate. I have seen bass spawning in high 70's water temps. In fact in the mid 60's I rarely found bass on their beds in Texas. Seems once it got to upper 60's and low 70's is when bedding activity really spiked. Here in Florida this is the case also. Water rarely gets that cool here. This year for instance we had a couple times when the water dipped into the high 50's but mostly stayed in the low 60's at it's coldest. At least in the lakes I fish in. Bass are spawning right now and the water temp is low to mid 70's.

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
The water temperature that I listed is at the depth the bass are using or holding in. The surface temps are usually warmer and with spawning the activity starts at 62 to 65 and can continue for up to 3 full moon phases.
It's difficult to see color in black and white and the original chart is faded badly, like me. looking at the chart the horizon is at 3 & 9 o'clock out to the white circle and first color band. The colors on the first inner band and second band are @ 3-9 o'clock red indicating active, next is yellow indicating neutral and then blue indicating negative. the third color band starting at late winter and going clock wise; blue to fall, then yellow to summer, then blue summer days and yellow summer nights, then yellow spring, blue post spawn, yellow spawn and red pre spawn. Everything for the calendar period to the first color band working outside inward belongs to the segment, The next ring inside is a 24 hour ring, then the center ring is moon phase ring. Simple!! looking at it from my eyes. I know this is difficult stuff to understand, but it works within reasonable limits considering how accurate the water temp is measured, what I knew at the time and what type of bass you are applying it to. Florida's are a little different than the northern LMB that I based this on, close enough to get you in the right seasonal periods.
Tom

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
Bump.

If'n ya'll keep looking at this thread and study the two documents in the first post, eventually you will get it and become a better basshole. Get it out and study a few times a month at least. When you get it you will want to post about it because it will open up new opportunities. I'm working on a new chart with color, will pass that back to Tom, and hope it will be easier to read and understand. It will become a part of your tackle and you will want to laminate it.

Jim

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
I still have to use the print out while looking at the drawing, lacking the colors. I'll color it in soon then ween off the printed stuff, then come up with as simple an explanation as possible. This MUST be done.

Jim

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
Ouachita said:
I still have to use the print out while looking at the drawing, lacking the colors. I'll color it in soon then ween off the printed stuff, then come up with as simple an explanation as possible. This MUST be done.

Jim
Jim, PM your address and I will send you a color photo.
Tom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts