Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if anyone read Mark Hicks article in this months Bassmaster regarding Rick Clunn trying to explain quantum physics and bass fishing. Rick has always been trying to capture or harness the energy of being in the zone. Whats really scary is I can almost understand what he is trying to explain. To understand what it is like to be in the zone, you must have experienced being there.
Sports competitors that entered the zone can perform with extraordinary ease and glide through competition almost like watching someone else performing. Everything is working without trying and you know exactly what to do next. Clunn has been there and is trying to be able to understand how to get in the zone metally on demand.
Unfortunately the stars align when your are not trying, it just happens. Call it positive karma or whatever, you can control the negative elements that cause you stress and fight everything around, the opposite of being in the zone.
Rick gets to the lake a day ahead of time and watches the local environment to get in tune with the rhythm of nature and the ecosystem. Watching the animals, birds and fish interact gets you away from the negative stresses and opens you up to being in the zone. You know where the bass are and what they will react to, all you need to do is execute. The problem is something always seems to interupt the focus and everyday life stresses close the door to the zone. Maybe the next trip everything will fall into place. Good luck Rick with your quest.
Tom

·
Registered
635 Posts
There are only two things that keep me from laughing at that article. First, RC is inarguably one of the best of all time, and second, I have been in the zone several times. Regrettably, I can't stay there for more than 1-2 fish most of the time.

·
Banned
539 Posts
Can the zone be simply interpreted as trusting your instincts and allowing them to take over and letting it happen naturally with what you sense instead of forcing yourself to perform.

I have felt this more on the golf course than from the boat, but when I find myself trying to make it happen it never works

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
When it happened for me I caught a four pounder from every spot that there should of been one at it was weird. I never lost a fish and was culling four pounders. Had a few beers that night!

·
Banned
539 Posts
imonembad said:
When it happened for me I caught a four pounder from every spot that there should of been one at it was weird. I never lost a fish and was culling four pounders. Had a few beers that night!
Drew, have another on me. Just put it on the tab - Culling 4lbs that a fishermans wet dream

·
Registered
635 Posts
The longest it ever happened to me was fishing from a bank during post spawn. I was throwing a sticko, and caught a limit in about an hour. The fish averaged 3 lbs. I knew they were going to bite before I made the cast. Definitely the coolest fishing experience I've ever had.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts