Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

Club Tournament Results

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  bigdaddytowe 
#1 ·
Well, let me tell you one thing...
Mid 40's water temps, Mid 40's air temps, 20+mph winds, a moving front and over cast skies make a VERY VERY tough Santee Cooper! LOL
I kid you not when I say I did not even get a bite! lol My buddy, Ziggy, who I was fishing with didnt get a bite either... as a matter of fact only 3 peope in our club got a bite. At the scales only 4 fish were weighed in. I've never seen such a small weigh in.
The winner had 10.06 with two fish, one fish being 5.66lbs

Although I didnt catch a thing, I still had a good time especially when we rode. The wind was up so high that the lake was full of 6+ foot rollers and it made for a bumpy ride full of lots of "Yeeehawwwwws!!" as we caught air! lol The only negative thing was the face full of stinging ice water that I occassionally got lol I am definitely buying a Fish Hedz mask lol ( http://www.savephace.com/The-Gear/Simply-Sick-Series )

Discussion starter · #4 ·
hehe I'd have killed for the water temps you all had. That would have made a huge difference.

I tried everything. As far as working lipless crankbaits over or around grass... not possible on Santee as it once was thanks to the 50,000+ triploid carp they released a few years back to keep the grass down. Before the carp were released all the grass in the lake was erradicated through the use of helicopters dropping pellets.
This time of year Santee is in it's winter stage. Lily pads are pretty much all pulled back, and any other native grass (shoreline grass) is also pretty dead and pulled back. Years ago you could go out on Santee, find huge grass beds in the middle of the lake and rip rat-l-traps around and over them and put some serious fish in the boat, whether it was summer spring or winter. These days that option is non-existent. Which makes winter fishing in Santees 170,000 acres extremely difficult at times. This weekend was one of those times to say the least.

Now next month we head back to Santee. However when we hit Santee in the end of March it will be a WORLD of difference. I can't wait for that.

Discussion starter · #6 ·
jerkbaits are my go to bait believe it or not ;) I caught the biggest bass of my life on jerkbaits. :)

Discussion starter · #7 ·
Well, I have been doing some talking and some reading and it seems out of all the tournaments that fished Santee this past weekend, about 100 anglers had their lines in the water and only about 20 fish were caught lol Santee showed how tough she can be once again. Many people may not realize thsi but Santee, under the wrong conditions can be the toughest most dangersous lake there is to fish, period, bar none. BFL, FLW and BASS will vouch for this without blinking an eye. At last years BFL, Santee claimed several boats. The funniest line I ever heard was from a BASS pro several years back who said he never knew his boat could double as a submarine till he fished Santee lol

At 170,000 acres, with probably 100,000 of those acres 7 foot deep or less and even more than that inundated with millions upon millions of cypress trees, submerged dead trees or stumps, Santee can make even the most seasoned pro wish he'd have stayed home at times. Of course these days the pros seemed to have decided to fish Santee only when the fishing is the easiest... during the spawn... and thats why she broke all records last year. Personally I'd like to see the pros hit her when she is at her worst. That would really prove what they were made of if you ask me ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.