Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got into an argument at work with a guy I work with about clear/blue flourescent line not being usable in really clear water because of it being visible to the fish. He said he uses it exclusively for 40 years and hasn't noticed any difference in fish catching between it and clear line. I disagree but am willing to be put in my place if I'm wrong. I have a strong track record trout fishing in water so clear you have to be careful when wading in it to avoid suddenly ending up deeper than you want to be. Cold mistake right there! I know for a fact that line choice makes a HUGE difference. Best year I ever had I was using 4lb clear Stren on my ultralite. It's hard for me to get away from the green Sensation though. Caught too many fish in gin clear water with moss all over the bottom where green line can be more invisible than clear. Now, my dad has a spool of 2lb clear blue he uses for leader because that's all they had in 2lb at the time of purchase. He catches fish and occasionally outfishes me but not often. I use a greenish Trout Magnet mono leader and it has proven to be better than anything I've ever used when it comes to fooling finnicky trout. Since flourocarbon sinks it's useless when a floating leader is part of the presentation.

·
Registered
281 Posts
i have had many fisherman sit in my boat and try to prove to me that green or clear line is better to be using during the day here on table rock. i have not had it proved to me yet. in fact almost everyone of them has gone to flourescent line. in the end, even if you do get a few more bites with the so called non-seeable line, how many bites do you never know that you had because you can not see your line either???? i have found out, trying each, that i catch more fish when i can see my line. i in-fact use 20lb. flourescent in the day time here on table rock. i think if you look at my track record of success here, if your arguement holds water, then the competition here hope that i do not go to green or clear line. i also use 4lb. stren flourescent in roaring river fishing for trout. another example is fishing with a guy that is a flouro. touter. we was trying to catch a fish off a bed using 8 lb. flouro. he never did catch it. i fished a gitzit on 30 lb flame green fireline behind him on the same fish and caught it on the first cast. his flouro really helped him didn't it.

·
Premium Member
3,062 Posts
I use clear-blue and never had a problem with it at all in clear or other water.I use braid/green on my baitcasters and catch fish in clear and other water .Braid they have to be able to see.Ive used green,olive, red and silver thread mono and caught fish on it.Now I`m going to try some co-poly and see how well it does for cranks.Just tested it casting and am pleased so far.Might try some other new line (to me) to see what works the best for cranks.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I have been fishing the gin clear Bull Shoals for a number of years. My main mono is the Original (blue) Pline. I like it so well that I order it in 3000 yd spools.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Crap! I wish I had saw this thread yesterday. I just went in to get some clear blue mono for my spinning reel and baitcasters I use for crankbaits. I had this same conflict and ended up just buying basic clear line. I really miss my clear blue since it is so visible above water. I got into thinking that it would act like fiber optic cable though and the sunlight would make the line glow underwater the same as it does above water. Now I want to exchange the line. Daggone it!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts