Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just poking around the Google maps and looking at Clarks Hill lake SC and noticed the Catey bay and Parsand island area. Don't have a topo map and never been there, but this is where I would start. Also the islands around the dam are very interesting and would check them out, if the water temps are 55 or so. Like to see a topo on this lake, very interesting! My guess at this point is crank baits will put a lot of bass in the boat, along with soft plastics like creature baitsand 8" worms, slip shot rigged and spider jigs with creature baits. If the water temps are around the 58 to 60 degree range the big girls will be staging on the secondary break and points inside Cantey bay.
Tom
ps; the RT may even do well!

·
Premium Member
13,633 Posts
I have a topo of the lake. maybe i can scan the portion you are speaking of tom

as far as in a transition period... could be... I dunno... I think the problem they are having isnt transition... its front after front throwing off the spawn and the warming water. Also that slam of rain didnt help any either. This time of year the water on Clarks Hill should be warming up nicely and the fish should be movingshallow and getting ready to spawn. I think by the time the tournament gets underway they may have those conditions but I can't imagine what this crazy weather has done to those fish in that deep mountain reservoir.

I will get in touch with Glenn tonight and see what i can find out from him.

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imonembad said:
I read that the fish are in transition right now and some anglers are struggling. Might just be propaganda.
Transitioning from spawn to post spawn or pre spawn to spawn? Water temps?
Tom

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With fronts the bass are moving up from pre spawn tend to get tight to the bank on the outside breaks. This can be good for someone who knows how to work soft plastics up hill, like spider jigs and drop shot rigs.
Tom

·
Premium Member
13,633 Posts
oldschool said:
imonembad said:
I read that the fish are in transition right now and some anglers are struggling. Might just be propaganda.
Transitioning from spawn to post spawn or pre spawn to spawn? Water temps?
Tom
If i had to guess, considering whats happening here in the southern warmer part of SC, (Clarks Hill is in the northern cooler more mountainous part of SC) Id have to say they are transitioning from winter to pre-spawn or at the most from pre-spawn to spawn.

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it's early pre spawn the fronts won't bother the adult bass much, it common for this time of year. The cold wind and bad weather affects the fisherman more the bass. Tournament mentality is constant movement and they need to slow it down and concentrate on smaller areas. The west coast guys and Remitz might do well under those conditions.
Tom

·
Registered
841 Posts
Hey Tom, another site I frequent is sclakes.com, click on< enter forums >at top left, no need to register to read, and scroll down to the lakes section. People post all the time about tx results and lake conditions. Kind of neat, it is sort of a log, I guess. I fish Clarks hill fairly often, Skeeter has it's southern owners tx here in the fall. I really enjoy the lake. The bottom of the lake near the dam on the eastern side is a very! good area. Davy Hite, a local boy won last year, Sat in one spot all day sunday, fished jig and Swim bait!! Blue back herring galore.
Britt

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The dam area looks really good, must be lots of bait and current breaks around those islands. If there is some spawning areas nearby, then the dam area would be the last place the bass would move up and that means big staging fish in that area during colder weather. Swim baits would be very good if large bait fish like Herring are around. The Clear lake hitch color 6" LA Slider or similar lure would be ideal. Do you know anything about Cantley bay west of the interstate bridge?, not sure of the spelling.
This tournament starts tomorrow, so I guess we will know soon whats happening.
Thanks for the information, will take a look.
Tom

·
Registered
841 Posts
Hey Tom, the home page for sclakes.com states that the forum section is under repair, but it is not. You can still click on enter forums and read about all of our lakes. I'm not sure which bridge you are referring to. Is it towards the GA side or up the river? Is it the bridge west of the dam, for the road that crosses the dam, across the arm extending towards GA, I believe this is little river. ? My map is in my boat, gotta watch the baby now, so I'll look tomorrow. I would love for you to take a look at a topo map and offer some suggestions. It is the largest reservoir east of Mississippi, if I'm not mistaken. 39 miles from dam to top. Plus the portion towards GA. Grass on lower end in summer. Was down 14' last year during Skeeter owners' tx. I have to work Sunday, or I would go to weigh in.

Britt

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It was the 95 bridge, the problem is that was lake Marion! Apparently when I zoomed the sat map it grabbed the wrong lSC lake and I didn't realize that until now when I went back to find that bridge...whoops. Those islands I thought look so good are down by the canal, not a dam and the bay west of the bridge looks great, wrong lake.
Tom

·
Registered
841 Posts
That helps, I didn't have a clue the interstate was over Clarks Hill. Thanks for clarifying, I was begining to wonder if I had been fishing the wrong lake. :dunno: It is a good lake. A SC fellow is leading, Casey Ashley has a little over 22 lbs I believe. It was a brutal day up here, not sure about there, about 1.5 hours away.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts