Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Local fisherman arrested for cheating during a fishing tournament
By: Ryan Tate

WAPPAPELLO LAKE, WAYNE COUNTY, Mo. - Gary Jones of Poplar Bluff finds himself in the Wayne County Jail for allegedly cheating during a fishing tournament Sunday on Wappapello Lake.

The Missouri Highway Patrol got a tip Saturday that Jones was acting suspicious near a duck blind on the lake. Troopers forwarded the tip to the Water Patrol and Conservation Department. Officers and Agents searched a blind and found two stringers, with a bass on each one. The agents tagged the fish, then set up surveillance near the blind. Jones arrived Sunday at the blind, and agents caught Jones on videotape taking the fish and putting them in his well.

Jones went to the weigh and presented the fish, gathering enough weight to finish in second place. He also had the third biggest bass, which won him a gift certificate. Jones won a total of more than $800 dollars in cash and prizes. As he exited the stage, Water Patrol officers arrested him. "They spend a lot of money and they lose sometime, but when they lose to deceit they get pretty upset by that," Missouri Water Patrolman David Nelson said. "If you can't trust the people fishing in the competition, people won't enter the event," Julie Stuever said. Stuever is the Assistant Director of the fishing tournament.

Wayne County authorities say Jones faces two to seven years behind bars if convicted.

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I hope they lock his cheating tail up for the maximum sentence! Stories like this disgust me! :cussin:

·
Premium Member
17,927 Posts
You would think people would learn :wack:. If I recall correctly, there has been 3 or 4 arrested just in the past 2 - 3 years for CHEATING. ( may be more :dunno: )

I also hope they make an example out of this low-life !! :cussin:

G

·
I take it he is now banned from every tournament. He will probably only get probation if he has no other criminal background. Big fines too.

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
Ray Scott recognized that some people tend to cheat. At the time BASS was founded, bass fishing contests (tournaments) were popular in Texas and cheating had become common is cash for bass contests. Ray came up with the plan to have a blind draw format where the contestants were paired randomly. With that format if is very difficult to cheat by stashing pre caught bass in cages or on stringers. Although at least one enterprizing BASS contestant tried by having a friend in scuba gear take bass out of a underwater cage and hook them onto his lure without his partners knowledge. Team partner or single angler tournaments are prone to cheating when money is on the line. This should not shock anyone, this happens around the country every year. Unfortunately not everyone is honest, ethical or good sportsmen.
Tom

·
Registered
635 Posts
Mike McKay said:
i hope he burns in you know where
" But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and ALL LIARS, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death." - Revelations 21:8, KJV

·
Registered
801 Posts
Praise to Revelations. I may attend the party but I won't close the club... We are all sinners but I will not cheat when it comes to fishing :thumbup01:
Btw, he needs a foot up his ass! :wack:

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm already fishing against some suspected cheaters but no one can prove anything so we all just keep on donating our money to these guys. After winning 5 in a row and a 2nd place finish, these 2 yoyo's finally came in near the bottom at the last tourney. I even had the nerve to ask them where they kept the basket of fish at and they didn't acknowledge the question.

I hate the thought of losing to cheaters after I work so hard to get where I am (5th place week in and week out lol)

Plaster a cheaters pic all over the place, shame them, and banish them from our sport!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Jaypea, why not notify the authorities? Police have much better ways of watching someone during the duration of a tournament than we do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts