Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G

·
I very seldom fish with crankbaits therefore I have never changed out the split rings.

However, that does look like a good idea.

·
Banned
539 Posts
I love cranks and consider myself a fair chunk and wind technition. I check my line often and look for issues such as this. I can count the times my knot or line caught itself in the split on one hand. It has happen but not very often.

I have bought newer cranks with these d-rings and they work fine and will admit they do offer a little more action, but I normally tie a loop knots to accomplish this.

I believe it comes down to personal preference and the cost and time investment is worth it for a little insurance.

As a side note there are new teardrop split rings out there that do the same thing and based on which end you tie the line to alters the wobble of the bait.

The Excalibur Tear Drop Split Ring is designed to enhance the performance of any bait, whether cast or trolled. Our unique design allows the angler to tie at either end of the ring without the line making contact with the split area and actually changes the behavior of the bait depending on which side of the ring the bait is attached. The narrow end keeps the bait in a tight wiggle and the wide end allows for a more wide wobbling action.

http://www.lurenet.com/catalog.aspx?catid=TearDropSplitRings

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I usually change the split rings when i change hooks, ive always used regular split rings, but i think the old terminal tackle monkey is about to strike! Dave

·
Premium Member
17,927 Posts
Jared I believe the link you posted are pretty much what is on the Lucky Crafts I own. ( came on them )

TCB, Those tear-drops look pretty good as well.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Man it is one of the most tedious jobs there are I hate changing hooks let alone split rings! Good luck and may the force be with you also.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I change them all to the LC oval shape split rings which I think were invented by Rick Clunn. Well worth the minimal cost and something you can do on those days when you are board and are doing maintenance on other tackle. At 48 my eye sight is getting worse especially close up so I can't see if the line is caught in the split anymore without those damn spectacles. Changing the split rings out ensures that I'm good to go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts