Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

Why Do You Release or Keep?

• ALWAYS- C&R REQUIRED

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ALWAYS- MGT. PREFERENCE (Prof. Fishery Mgt Unknown)

• ALWAYS- MGT. PREFERENCE (Fishery Prof. Managed)

• ALWAYS- PEER PRESSURE (Club Rule, etc.)

• ALWAYS- ETHICS, CONSCIENCE, GUT FEEL

• ALWAYS- PRESERVATIONIST IN GENERAL

• ALWAYS RELEASED, NO REASON

• UNKNOWN

• OTHER

• KEEP FOR TROPHY MOUNT

• KEEP FOR SHOW

• KEEP FOR SALE (COMMERCIAL FISHERMAN)

• KEEP FOR FOOD-SELF/OTHERS

• KEEP FOR FOOD-OTHERS

• KEEP FOR FISHERIES MANAGEMENT

• KEEP SOME-RELEASE SOME

• KEEP SOME-RELEASE MOST

• RELEASE OUT OF CONVENIENCE

61 - 65 of 65 Posts
As stated before I release all, just because I love the challenge of catching them. I enjoy the fishing, especially if I have my grandkids with me. They like releasing them as much as I do. If I want to eat fish, I will go crappie or bream fishing.

The only way i keep them is if i want to get one mounted, which i havent done yet, or if i should be lucky enough to catch close to a state record. Otherwise i have no desire to clean and eat them so its pointless.

I keep some, release some, depending on the location.

- Lakes with a healthy population I tend to keep more decent sized fish (usually 3 to 6 fish at 12-16"), but turn loose the larger and smaller fish. Let the big ones keep breeding, let the small ones grow up. Also I do this because the larger ones are more likely to have a higher concentration of mercury or other potentially dangerous chemicals that can be passed on when eating them.
- Lakes with lots of pressure where too many people already keep them, then I tend to release most of them unless the hook gets them in the gills or gullet with no chance of surviving.
- Now when I get out on the river, I tend to keep most of them since there is such a large population that works its way up and down the river, the 5 or 10 I keep doesn't even touch the many thousands or potentially millions that traverse those waters.

61 - 65 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.