Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

Why Do You Release or Keep?

• ALWAYS- C&R REQUIRED

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ALWAYS- MGT. PREFERENCE (Prof. Fishery Mgt Unknown)

• ALWAYS- MGT. PREFERENCE (Fishery Prof. Managed)

• ALWAYS- PEER PRESSURE (Club Rule, etc.)

• ALWAYS- ETHICS, CONSCIENCE, GUT FEEL

• ALWAYS- PRESERVATIONIST IN GENERAL

• ALWAYS RELEASED, NO REASON

• UNKNOWN

• OTHER

• KEEP FOR TROPHY MOUNT

• KEEP FOR SHOW

• KEEP FOR SALE (COMMERCIAL FISHERMAN)

• KEEP FOR FOOD-SELF/OTHERS

• KEEP FOR FOOD-OTHERS

• KEEP FOR FISHERIES MANAGEMENT

• KEEP SOME-RELEASE SOME

• KEEP SOME-RELEASE MOST

• RELEASE OUT OF CONVENIENCE

Catch & Release Poll Part 2- Bass

15K views 64 replies 51 participants last post by  screwballl 
#1 ·
It should be interesting to see results of a few hundred members, which would be a statistically sound survey with just 100. YOU CAN CHANGE YOUR VOTE. I've added some options according to comments.

Jim

G
#3 ·
I chose Preservationist in general. Probably should have selected other and listed because it is a sport no reason to kill the fish.

This is really a 2 part question though and should have 2 polls. As it is now will delude the results I think. Someone might answer the keep part but they also release their fish too. So this is really 2 parts.

#4 ·
I checked "other" for the following reasons;
1. The bass is severely over stressed and will die as a result of being caught.
a). bleeding from the gills due to hook damage.
b). caught deeper than fizzing or weight releasing would be effective, over 50'.
c). unable to keep itself righted in the livewell and remains lethargic after trying to resuscitate. Stressed from low DO or elevated water temperature in the livewell.
2. 1 or 2 school size bass 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 lbs., caught intentionally for food.
a). both my wife and I like to eat bass on occasion, especially during the cold water period.
Tom

#5 ·
I too release almost all Bass I catch. If I go to a large lake with a good population I will keep a few of the smaller ones for a meal but that is it. I only keep what I need for one meal.

#9 ·
I tried to keep this poll along the same line as the national poll's 3 categories. I've actually complicated it by adding too many options, but hey, we already know the national average so who cares what we do? I thought it might be interesting to see if WE agree with the national.

Jim

#10 ·
I only keep a few fish when i want some to eat, but, with me being the only one in the house that eats fish, i don't keep much. My mom and dad come over some and i will keep a few for us to eat but not much. all other times i release.

#13 ·
I told my dad the other day I released a 7.5 Largemouth and I thought he was gonna have a heart attack! "You let a 7.5 go! Why?" LOL, I told him I was too tired to bother cleaning it and I have a freezer full of fish at home anyway! LOL

#15 ·
On all public waters I practice C & R because theyre are plenty of other people not doing that. I do belive in smaller bodies of water it can be necessary to keep a few bass to keep the population from getting to high. SO on my private pond. Which isn't very big, 75 yards wide, by 150 yards long. Max depth is maybe 12ft. with average being about 5. So its a fairly small pond and the bass get overpopulated and stunted very easily. In these situations I think its necessary to keep a few here and there.

#17 ·
I release my fish because I don't feel i should kill them. I strongly support catch and release but I also think that if a fish is legal then the angler has the right to keep it if they choose. I also agree that keeping some fish to avoid overpopulation is a valid reason as long as the fish are eaten or used for a purpose, not just thrown away.

#18 ·
I release all of the bass i catch, unless they are gut hooked. Bass are tough fish, even if they are stressed a little they can make it back to normal easily

#19 ·
I release all black bass and all members of the pike family because they're top-of-the-line predators that keep the prolific panfish numbers down.

I release small fish of those species I eat to grow up.

I release the larger fish of those species I keep to keep those "big fish" genetics in that water (besides, the mid-sized fish taste better, anyway).

I release all fish I don't eat (common carp, freshwater drum) unless they're an invasive species, like the Asian carps (big head, silver, etc.) or gobies, which are illegal to throw back, anyway.

I've also had to release myself a time or two (LOL).

#21 ·
I voted for keep for fisheries management, as I release all fish over 3 lb. but keep several fish between 1 and 2 lb. for food. I feel that keeping the smaller fish population down and the larger fish population up is good for the overall population. I used to feel like most fisherman in my area, that bass are trash fish. I fished only for trout, but my family doesn't like trout(I tried several ways to cook it with no luck). A friend had some left over batter fried bass fillets that he shared with me, wow, it was good! I started to target bass so I could get my family to try some, they like it, they like it.lol Because most fisherman around here think that bass is a trash fish, they release everything, allowing the few of us that think otherwise to keep a few without hurting the population.

#22 ·
I have seen some people take a large number of bass out of a local lake. One tournament director took 4 bass each weighing over 5 lbs home with him. (not during a local tournament) When asked what he planned on doing with them he replied, "Im putting 3 in my pond and having one for dinner!" I was amazed a lake that produced 8 lb bass for me at least 3 times a year,(five years ago) now you will be lucky to catch 1 bass over 5 lbs a year... wonder why? Don't have a problem with people taking bass but what is too much? What the law allows?

#25 ·
I C&R almost exclusively. The only exception is to keep a couple for dinner about twice a year. Helps me remember this is a blood sport. I look forward to the day of catching my trophy, releasing it and having a fiberglass mount to remind me that the fish is still out there for more enjoyment.

#26 ·
I fish a moderately pressured lake almost exclusively. I know most of the fishermen on the lake and with just a few exceptions, we all C&R. One guy (who has a killer Ranger) keeps Crappie in the Spring because he loves them fried up. I have absolutely no problem with that, especially since I have seen him release far more fish than he keeps. The fishing remains good on my little lake, largely I believe because most of us practice C&R. Personally, any fish I catch other than Bass is by mistake and for the life of me can't understand why anyone would want to keep such a magnificent fish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.