Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

Catch and release

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  screwballl 
#1 ·
If you use one of those digital scales that has a large hook on the end, try using a plastic grocery bag to weigh your fish rather than putting the scales hook through the lip or gill of the fish. By doing this you will put less stress on the fish and you wont put a bigger hole in the fishes lip. Preserve our heritage and our future of fishing.

#5 ·
I guess there isn't really a good a way to weigh the bass. Only what is less stressful. We're taught that it's best to lift them out of the water with our hand wet. Lipping a bass isn't good either, but yet we do and the pros do at weigh-ins too. When there's a hawg to be shown.

Like Mark stated a clip would be a lot better than the hook.

If you maybe had a strong cloth material and it's wet, that might the way to go.

I guess what all comes down to is this. To do the weighing as fast and safe for the bass.

#6 ·
If you are in a tournament then I just do what's necessary to win. Take reasonable care of them with oxygenators, chemicals, and temperature control, weigh them and cull as quickly as possible, and get back to fishing. If you want to win, you can't spend time worrying about each fish for the rest of your life, it is unproductive, at least you are doing your best and doing what is necessary, but in every case it is better than throwing them in an ice chest and eating them, so in my opinion that's all I will do. I am there to win not be a conservationist and president of PETA.

Now in the case of trophy fishing or for fun?? That is a whole different story. I don't hold them out of the water for longer than necessary, especially in hot or cold or high winds as it removes the slime coat, I always wet my hands, if they appear unhealthy or stressed, I take care of it with chemicals, aeration, etc until they look better then release them, I NEVER weigh them unless it is for a specific reason like the largest of the year, or near or at a state record, and I hold a large fish under the belly. In my opinion it is pointless to weigh them at all unless you are in a tournament as you can tell within a couple ounces what they weigh just by looking, and if it isn't close to a record it is pointless. That is my opinion. Now I have weighed them on camera in the past at different times, just to prove a point, but if people didn't constantly make comments on the internet about it being the same fish or not the size I say, etc.. I wouldn't even do that.

#8 ·
I'm not happy with the way our club handles fish at weigh in but everything in life is a compromise. I think the best way would be to make a bag from those rubber net basket refills and weigh them in that. With our tournament scales going to .01 pounds nowadays, even a little water can make the difference between a win and a loss. About the best weigh method we have is a pre-weighed basket and black bag full of holes. Now if we could just convince them to stop flopping around.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.