Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I told Yall I was going today, and I did. Sunup to sundown. Here's what happened. First thing, I watched a guide service land a 10-15 lb. striper. I threw a pointer and sammy in the area, trying for schoolers. Also tried a hula grub on some rip-rap there. No action. Started a run up the creek by the ramp(Doll Mtn. launch ramp) Well, I fished my way up that branch for several hours. Caught one on a shaky head-nonkeeper-, missed one on a hula grub(gotta learn to set the hook faster on that thing). About 11-11:30, I run outta there due to lack of action. About 1:30 I got bit on another point on a c-rig tube. Broke him off on the hookset. My fault entirely, I knew I needed to retie and didn't. Then I had several short strikes over the next couple of hours. Most on the shaky head. Oh, yeah, and dink#2. About this time I'm about to quit. I didn't, and then the fun started. I caught (starting about 3:30- 4) one on the shaky head that weighed about 1.5-2lbs. Then about a half hour later, I caught another 13-14in. keeper. OK! Two keepers in the boat, sun is starting to go down, and so I'm working my way back to the ramp. Well, I went in this small cove by the ramp, fished it a little while, and found out why Yankeeman loves his Sluggos ;). They do have thier own action. I caught a REAL dink on a rainbow trout color-about 8". By the way, unknown, Dick's Sporting Goods carries them if you don't want to go to Bass Pro. :eek: So about this time the sun is starting to get behind the mountains, and I pack it in. WAIT!!! There are some striper schooling in the middle of the lake, and I decided, what the heck, I'll take a shot at them. There were some folks on the bank, and I figured they might like if I could bring them a good dinner 8). So I grabbed my rod rigged with a pointer 78 aurora black, and threw in. About four casts later, I hook a NICE fish. Well, I get him close to the boat, and OMIGODITSGREEN!!!  IT'S A HUGE BASS GRAB THE NET GET HIM GET HIM YEEESSS!!!!! AND it was a SPOTTED bass. my personal bestEVER. And I could'nt find my bleep-bleep de-liar,but my previous best was a 3-14, and this one was in a whole new ballgame. I KNOW he was 5lbs plus. At that point I packed it all in.

mtn.

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
LOL about the sluggos! You know it man! They are awesome baits! :) Wait till spring time rolls around again and then give em a shot in the shallows. Man! I love em! LOL!

Wow a 5lb plus spot? Thats awesome! I bet that SOB fought like a pitbull on speed LOL Biggest I ever caught was about 2 lbs and i thought I had Jonahs whale on the end of my line LOL!

Way to go and thank you for sharing the report! :)

Jared

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I really thought I had about a ten-pound striper at first, but it wasn't trying to go deep like that. 8lb test, spinning rod, AWESOME fight. It took about two minutes to reel in 40 feet of line. BTW, that aurora black pointer is the ticket on lakes with blueback herring. I really need to buy a backup.

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
That's great man! :clap:

I havent tried the pointers yet. Though alot of the lakes in SC are loaded with herring. I should try out that aurora black pointer and see what I can do with it. I've always liked the aurora black but have always gone with the Ms American Shad color. I think I'm due for a change though ;)

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
On the Lake of the Ozarks there is a fifteen inch length limit which causes you to have to throw back a three pound spot because he won't measure. Acually its a thirteen inch limit but all the tournaments go with the fifteen inch largemouth limit because most people can't tell the differents between the spots and the largemouths. The spots are footballs in LOZ and fight like madd.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Note to self: move to LOZ. Any place they are throwing back 3lb spots sounds like FUN!!!! Around here I get excited when they break the 2lb mark.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also, I'm going back tomorrow,so I'll tell ya'll what happened next. Maybe I'll catch something big this time. :rofl1:

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Went back today, Different launch ramp. I don't remember the name, it's the one closest to the dam. Anyway, I got out there and it was windy. BIGtime. I really wanted to run and gun, because it was cloudy, but when all you have is a trollin' motor, rule #1 is save enough juice to get home. So I fished in the cove around the launch ramp, and the word for the day was short-striker. Fish getting everything but the hook. Alot of them. I finally anchored on a point at the mouth of the cove, and that was where I got my only fish in the boat. 13 incher. I had another one real close to the boat, about the same size, but I don't think he was hooked very well. (see the word of the day) He got off, and one nice fish I hooked ran into a brushpile. All the action I got was on a GP finesse worm, shaky head rigged. I tried a drop shot with a fluke attached, but that just hauled water. Oh, well, I got some action, and one in the boat. I guess that's better than nothing, but I really wish I coulda run the lake today, because I think the fish were fairly active and I think I would have gotten on a hot bite, but if frogs had wings they wouldn't bump their butts. Sometimes you just gotta makke the most of what you got.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts