Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is an image that Tom wanted me to post in this section for yall. I am guessing he has some discussion to go along with it. :thumbup01:

T

·
0 Posts
Yep, I know now what that is. Thanks for the picture Tom and thanks for posting it Jared.

:fishing01: :fishing02:

K

·
0 Posts
I know what it is also. ********** rig :D haha. Just teasing.

But that is cool and if it helps a big mamma then I am all for it.

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
Stringers aren't for everyone, they are very "oldschool" and you need to remember to pick up the fish and release them or put them into the livewell before running the boat, as the prop can become an alligator. If this stringer could talk....it's held a lot big bass and kept them alive and well. This is one of two stringers I use all the time and is 8 feet long, made with 300 lb mono and stainless steel safety clips. Sometimes you don't want to immediately release a big bass because it could shutoff the bite when returning and the other big bass follow her away as she heads for the safety of deep water. I hate livewells for big bass, they go into shock so easily when confined.
Tom

·
Registered
635 Posts
Could we get a diagram of what goes where? Can you keep multiple fish on this stringer? 300# test?! Fishermen like me are too dumb to figure all this stuff out on there own, oldschool. Draw -uh- them- a picture. ;) How big is the weight? What do you use to hold the fish to the boat? DETAILS :cussin: DETAILS!!!

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
Just need to locate the SST clips mfr and will make up a sketch with parts lists and assembly instructions for anyone interested..
Tom

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
What Tom said about the livewell...so true. I just HATE hearing a big mamma slam nose first against a wall. SLAP. You'd think she would be knocking herself out. A minute later she does it again. :banghead: This topic brings back some fond memories of when there were no livewells. You put them on the stringer and dumped it over the side. The main concern was predators and the stringer getting hung on something. With a stringer you could instantly hold up the day's catch showing off. I use one in hot summer months, pulling it in for storage in the livewell until I park again. I just tied mine to a cleat about midways down the boat on a side of the boat not used to boat a fish. Otherwise it's easy to let a hooked bass tangle in that stringer and get off.

Jim

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
You need to remember the stringer is out thats for sure. I fish a lot of deep water and don't worry about the bottom being an issue. Fighting bass is another issue altogether, you don't want to be running around the boat following a bass like the pros do today. You should keep the fish out in front of you, except use the trolling motor to keep the boat positioned correctly, instead of following the fish. I not a fan of running all over the boat, bad things can happen like the big engine is at the backend and the trolling motor at the front end with tackle and stuff in between, not good. I keep the stringer clipped on the cleat next to the livewell.
Tom

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
OK, back to the shop for me. I've used the store-bought stringers all these years while complaining about the noise it makes. Mine are all metal, chain links with the fish clips. When one fish decides to take off the others are obliged to follow, so right when ya intend to pitch a bait onto a bass fin that SLAP slap slap racket starts up as the metal grates across the edge of the boat, or they try to dive under the hull. It's no fun either when I drift over a tree top and every fish wraps around a limb. They see any wood at all and off they try to go.

Might not be the ideal way to go but it sure cuts their livewell time down.

I remember the days when everyone used stringers and during tournaments guys with a heavy load would do the mental torture games, holding theirs up with "Whatcha got so far?". That tended to send competitors home knowing there was no way they could beat it in time. By weigh-in hour there might be only 3 or 4 out of 15 left standing. My uncle and I found ourselves standing some times, leaving early other times. But now with all the fish out of sight you never will know till all the fish are hauled out, like in the 2007 FLW Championship here. A guy with 17-2 over two days would have taken Suggs' cool million dollars away from him. That was just a mere 8.56# a day! I doubt there would have been enough ceremony there had all those guys seen stringers, yet many came up on stage with no fish.... I like the mystery better, but for the sake of those fish, string em up.

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,383 Posts
hey jim you could put a outrigger on your boat to conect the stinger to it, then no back breaking lifts over the boat with those massive hauls you git.... :rofl1:teasin!..or maybe custimize it to be a string 4real! just attach the weight and the clips.. find a cheap one with half the cable on it first...LOL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts