Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Release large ones only

• I don't release any cats

C & R Other Species Poll - Catfish

5K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  Bodeen 
#1 ·
Personally, I release the small and large ones, and keep the mid-sized. I release the small to grow. I release the large ones to keep those "big fish" genetics in that body of water. Besides, the mid-sized taste better than the huge ones, anyway.
:jitterbug:

#7 ·
I love catfish but when I am in the mood for it I go to Cracker Barrel and order it with green beans and mashed potatoes. I just prefer to release all of my catches, except for a few bluegill that and up as catfish bait. Of course if gas prices keep going up I might have to filet my own so who knows...

#8 ·
I stopped eating catfish in restaurants. I read an article in maybe the Wall Street Journal about how Chinese fish suppliers are threatening to take over the American commercial freshwater industry. I'm guilty of having bought several bags of frozen tilapia fillets at WalMart, quite cheaper than any American source. If you look closely, chances are most any frozen fish you buy are from outside the US. I don't buy catfish at all, having plenty available from our local lakes, the water certified to be very clean. Tipapia and catfish, among many other species, are raised in China for a fraction of USA costs, so even with shipping added their products increase restaurant profits enough to pass on native sources. I don't feel comfortable about possibly eating a lot of lead and mercury in foreign fish where governments are lax toward health regulations. Catfish start off being repositories of pollutants they might accumulate, regardless of where they grow. I decided the food given to foreign fish could be tainted. Now with Chinese dry milk turning up with melamine pollution, an apparent dismal regard for human health can't speak much for health of their fish sold to Americans.

Jim

#11 ·
That jerky could be from road kill :lmao:

Grilled vension can mean it was peeled off the front of a tractor trailer, also served as a Smear of Deer.
Poached Poodles N Noodles might beat fair jerky.
Why not made from Rack of Raccoon, the beast tied to the luggage rack till it swelled twice its size, stinkin' too much to bake.
Would Rigor Mortis Tortoise pass for jerky?
If you like jerky then try some Grilled Whippoorwill Kabob. The low flyers are often instantly grilled roadside.

Jim

#12 ·
I know. I know. I put I release the smaller and bigger ones. Since I haven't played with the kitties in a long while. And I have been dying to get out and go for them. Because they are so great to eat. I'm hoping to get out there though and get a couple. I never keep more than I can eat at any one setting for any species. And if they are stockers. Then forget it.

#13 ·
Me I release all catfish so they can fight and live another day.But why i do that is because where i fish i let them get way bigger to possiably catch it again but way bigger and better fight and mabe the fight of your life.You will always a a story out of fishing if you keep it or let it go.but dont get me wrong eating catfish isnt to bad

#15 ·
Arkansas allows up to 20 jugs or other floating devices, and occasionally I've had a cat on all at one time. The daily limit is ten, so if I don't have a partner helping, ten would go free. I keep all I take off a hook up to the limit, then begin culling the smallest, prefer 2#-10# cats. The water is listed as among the cleanest on earth with no pollutants man-made or natural, so big cats are safe, though can be a bit strong tasting over 20#. My personal size limit is about a 40# cat if I'm alone, having two "bad" shoulder cuffs that are at the moment pain free...it ain't worth the risk trying to manage the powerful flops when coming aboard. I've cut many a leader.

We have some quite old neighbors from Poland two doors up, and another old couple nearby from Lithuania that take any tiny to giant fish, making great fish soup and fish patties out of them. I can handle a bowl of that soup once a month or so, rinsing it down with their home-made lager. Ever dipped dark brown bitter beer out of a wood tub? Former Soviet Europeans have interesting cultural habits. My limit is one cup, potent stuff, recommended to chase the fishy taste down :tongue2: They live on that stuff, and I've been a "back door" neighbor for years, no door knocking allowed. Strangers knock.

Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.