Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

C&R It Works!

4K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  randomperson3 
#1 ·
Just got back from another successful smallie trip. Alot of the fish I caught showed signs of being caught before. Thanks goes out to all you c&r folks that are helping insure that folks like me have great trips like the one I just had for years to come.

G
#2 ·
It sure does. I have caught countless fish that have been caught before. But it only works when people release their fish. Also, please release the big fish that is the most important thing. Eat the smaller fish which are abundant and release the big ones.

#3 ·
caught several here that have been hooked before...

buddy was grossed out by a one eyed fish, i told him he shouldn't have released it last year,& he was luckly he cast to the good eye too!

i caught one last year that must of broke someones line off, it had fishing line out of it's basshole, i pulled out a few inches of line and could tell there was something conected inside the belly, i cliped the line close to the body & i realeased it even tho i could of scored a 'crappy' free lure from it...?

#4 ·
Catch n Release is the only way to go. Especially with bass...I don't recall the last time a bass ever got kept in my boat. If we want a fish meal, it's panfish, and once in a great while we'll keep a few walleye.

Keep a tight line and take a kid fishing!! :shadrap_ft:

#5 ·
Out here. C&R is a way of life. They have so many size limits, Bag limits, Slot limits. And so on. So you have to have a good knowledge of how to release. Nothing worse than seeing peoples catches floating away. There is one lake last year they opened up for the first time in 5 years. And the trout were of really nice size. And it was a crying shame to see all the fish ether floating or on the bottom from people not knowing the proper way of release. After all they have to get another one. And another one. They go out and use a light line and pole because they like the fight. And they know how to play out a trout of 5 pound plus and get it back to the boat or the shore line. Just to drop it back in the water and start to fish again. Thats where they look at the fish upside down and say oh well. Guess it won't make it. Gotta get another. Leave it and go on. Because if they fill there limit then fishing would be done.. Right. The ones I had caught even with a line that was suitable for the size. You still had to work the fish a good 5 minutes to get it to where it would swim off and not have to worry about it. The lake has a bag limit of 2 and you could catch a good 20 with ease. And then when the water warmed up it got even worse. Can you imagine how I felt to see a 10 pounder floating by you as you were fishing knowing that some fool out there just wanted to catch something and not care about the species. Now it came that there was a hard winter there and the DOW even got out there with snow plows to clear snow off. Because the oxygen levels dropped so low it wouldn't sustain the population. So they had to start over again. Stocking the fish. And hope for the best. The Ice was over 30 inches by the way. And it had over 20 inches of snow on it.

So in conclusion. Please use a line that is good for the size of fish in the place you are fishing. And get it to the boat, Or shore as fast as you can. Then make sure it is revived good enough to go on and live for the next person to catch. Sorry to sound like a preacher here. Knowledge comes from learning from the pro's and lots of reading. Cause once they are gone. It is hard to get it back..

#8 ·
Catch and Release is the true signature of a true sportsman. It means that the fish will be there for generations to come. Also will allow the lunker to grow too.
I hope more out there will follow the catch and release program as I do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.