Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tackle Tip: I like to fish buzzbaits when the surface temperatures range from 60 to 90 degrees. The perfect buzzbait weather conditions are cloudy or misting rain with calm winds. In spring and fall, they account for bass all day long on many lakes and rivers, but in summer when the water is hot, they are usually most effective early and late in the day; however, if you are fishing lots of grass you can fish a buzzbait on the edges all day long.

One trick that I use is to cast out my buzzbait and start reeling it in before it hits the water. I make about 20 turns and stop reeling to let it sink, then start cranking it in and do it again. As the bait sinks the bass will grab it on the fall or just as I start reeling.
Bassmasterfitz.com

G

·
Nice tips. I also start reeling it in before it hits the water so as not to let it sink initially. Will have to try the letting it sink thing next time I use it.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Here is one more tip, squeeze (with pliers) the grommet on the end of the wire by the blade. It makes it squeal really loud going through the water..

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
to make my buzzbait not sink when it lands... I like to keep my rod low after i cast and as my bait is about to land I raise my rod tip up. This will pull about 5 to 6 foot of line quickly and ensure that my bait is up on top and chugging the instant it touches down.

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
another good tip is to bend the shaft so that the blade just does tick it. This creates a nice clack as the prop revolves.

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
Buzzers actually work a little better in a light wind chop than on flat smooth water.Try a frog first on the flat water and follow up with the buzzer.
If you tweak the blade clevis as mentioned to make it squeal, try tying the lure onto your car antenna with 6" of heavy line and let it spin while driving to the lake or around town. You can also drill one 1/8 diameter hole at the top of each blade to create a bubble trail and make more of a surface disturbance. Change the skirt material to flat live rubber in lieu of silicone skirts and use a skirt collar to flare out the skirt more.

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
if the surface is smooth... I will leave the buzzbait alone and grab my favorite... a soft jerkbait. I will keep it on the top a majority of the time.

Good tips Tom! :thumbup01:

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
LakeCityYankee said:
if the surface is smooth... I will leave the buzzbait alone and grab my favorite... a soft jerkbait. I will keep it on the top a majority of the time.

Good tips Tom! :thumbup01:
How soon I forget, think of a fluke as a skinny frog or a frog as a fat fluke and give them both a try.
Tom

·
Registered
72 Posts
Lets talk kinds of buzz baits for a second and wierd buzzer techniques. I use a very wide variety of baits in the buzz category from spring all the way through to winter. I have made a few, double buzz, extenders and such, but mostly rely on name brand baits. I do enjoy a in-line buzz bait such as the Herb's Dilly (which by the way is no longer being produced) and the uncle buck's hair buzz.

There is a technique which the 'old guys' in Louisiana used to use that I have come to Love, and you bassholes will also if you try it, first you have to find a stump or log that is just under the water line, then tie your buzzer on a 2 ft heavy line, I was taught to use nylon, and tie the other end to a long cane pole. Buzz a figure 8 over and over the stump, 6 or 7 times around and BAM, if she is anywhere close she will clobber it, I don't mean hit it, I MEAN CLOBBER! Today I use a 7'7 with 50lb braid and the biggest double blade buzzer I have, I never go a day without this working atleast once. Ya gotta try it and don't give up your first stump, the fish you catch with this will be worth the time you spend!

I also have had very good success with flies or flukes, tied about 18" or so behind the buzz bait, this is especially true with a fluke behind a herb's dilly. I would have to say I catch about 60 percent of my fish with this on the fluke, but get very little action with a fluke alone.

Anymore ideas out there?? This is why I'm a BassHOLE, to share and to be shared too, LOL!

Cya on the Water
Lee

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another thing i was doing is i bend the buzz bait to one side i bend it to the left when i walk down the bank and run the bait as close to the bank i can and if there is a log laying out just a bit i will just nick to have a reaction strike on the bait.
bassmasterfitz.com :soda: love my pepsi

·
Premium Member
4,943 Posts
Good tips, some new 1s for me to try. I have been known to use buzzbaits at high noon with a bright sun, over shallow weeds it can be deadly.
Rodney

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
use a trailer hook on your buzz bait for those fish that are just slapping at it... you will catch more fish also bend the blades in a little bit to make them cup the water more...

hope this helps

·
Premium Member
6,080 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I don't have much confidence in the Buzzbait Since I have never caught a fish one but I do throw time to time.

G

·
I love to fish a buzz bait just as much as the other guy but the only tip that I can give is when I'm fishing with one and the bite turns on then I switch to the devil horse. The bass will destroy this bait. It is more exciting to see a bass hit a devil horse than a buzzbait, if your wanting a ferocious bite.

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
Doodling a buzzbait around a stump! New to me, gotta try that.

Drill some holes in the blade. Holes make extra bubbles. Bass will travel a long way to a buzzbait splashing down and clattering. Lots of times we get it back to the boat before the bass arrives. Make it easier for the bass to track the bait faster, following that bubble trail. Dipping the bait like said above should be a way to sl;ow it down to give bass more opportunity to eat it.

Jim

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
I have fished a lot of buzzers and never caught a good bass by letting one free fall. The thing with me is finding buzzers with heavier gage wire frames that don't get bent out of shape easily. I don't like the titanium framed buzzers. A local makes a buzzer called "Deadeye", cost about $15 for the double buzzer and he can't make them fast enough. Great hardware, epoxy metal flake translucent head, blades spin smoothly and throw a lot of water and last forever, catches big bass.
Tom
J & T Tackle 805/527.7653

·
Registered
295 Posts
I think Tom stole me post,

Very good suggestions here. I would like to add two things one is I use a pen and cup the blade to give me more lift and to change the gurgle on the fly without changing my buzzbait size. The other item is the Tandem Buzzbait I really like the Hart buzzbait, I can get this thing to slowly crawl and create tons of noise, this is a must have in my buzzbait aresenal.

Tom (oh god socal boys dont kill me) wasnt there a summer a few years back on lake casitas where the HOT bite was the Hart Buzzbait with a fish trap trailer.... These swimbait trailers on buzzbaits in the post spawn to early summer can really outshine a skirted buzzbait esp in overcast conditions.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts