Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last tuesday the topic for chat was drop shotting, there were several who didn't know for sure what it is so here is a primer. Drop shot is when the weight is below the lure. That's it in a nutshell. Most times drop shot brings to mind a wispy spinning rod with very light line, small weight and little bait, maybe. The rod and reel combo is what feels good for you, the rod can be any where from 6'6" to over 7 feet in length, and can be med lite, med, or med heavy. The reel can be small or large, you have to use what you like. Most use flourocarbon line, many of the pros do also, but some use braid with a flouro leader, again, preference. Most weights have a "clip" at the end so the line doesn't have to be tied, just pulled tight. There are different hooks to use, again, preference. Many of the baits are 4" or less. All this can be upsized to suit different conditions. Like any other technique there is a learning curve, what makes this one popular is that it is the the most precise way to present a bait and work it place for an extended length of time, far longer than any other technique. If you search drop shot or drop shotting or bubba shot on this site you will find a great deal of info which can help you learn and get ideas.
Rodney

·
Registered
57 Posts
yep summed that one up in a hurry,remember a little KVD Line and lure we help manage that flourocarbon line.on your spinning or casting reel.

·
Premium Member
11,455 Posts
Great post Rodney. Im still learning this drop shot thing, I keep trying but have not caught a fish on this technique yet, but I refuse to give up till I learn it. :thumbup01: :thumbup01:

·
Premium Member
4,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mark, try useing it on docks, specially ones with 10 or more feet of water aff the end. Walls with 3 or more feet of water can be good also, specially if there is a touch of "color" to the wall. It is not a deep water only technique.
Rodney

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
mlsims said:
Great post Rodney. Im still learning this drop shot thing, I keep trying but have not caught a fish on this technique yet, but I refuse to give up till I learn it. :thumbup01: :thumbup01:
Mark- Bud, I was a washout with the DS until late last year. Never caught squat no matter how long, when or where I used it. Then, almost magically, I caught my first bass on it. Who knows what happened, but the DS has been a big producer this entire year. Keep at it, bro. You'll be a Jedi Master at DS in no time. :thumbup01:

·
Premium Member
11,455 Posts
Toad said:
mlsims said:
Mark- Bud, I was a washout with the DS until late last year. Never caught squat no matter how long, when or where I used it. Then, almost magically, I caught my first bass on it. Who knows what happened, but the DS has been a big producer this entire year. Keep at it, bro. You'll be a Jedi Master at DS in no time. :thumbup01:
I hope so Jaison, Im going to keep trying. It was the only rod I took Sunday, but the wind was blowing so hard, I could not hold the boat in position, and after awhile I got so aggrivated, I just gave up. But I will prevail, and hopefully have some pictures to post soon of my conquest of this technique. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts