Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but here is my question. Please don't laugh at my lack of knowledge of this subject and the fact that I don't know the proper name for this particular part.

One of the rubber caps that covers the wheel bearings on the wheel hub of my boat trailer keeps popping off. Does it need replacing or is something causing it to pop off. It is always the same one. It has never happened while towing it...just while sitting under my boat shelter this winter. I have the wheel bearings re-packed with grease once a year. This is the first time since I have owned the boat and trailer that this has happened with the hub cover.

:usa:

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
ours need replacin every once in a while sometimes but they're dust caps to keep dirt and junk out of your grease so it doesnt turn into scoureing paste id get a replacement and watch it to see if it keeps happening

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can I buy them at an auto parts store or do I have to go to a boat shop?

:usa:

·
Registered
612 Posts
Good reply. I think the chromed bearing buddys are slightly tapered, so if there's grease on the two surfaces and the cap is old it can slide off. If you have the center lube type bearings, the seal rubbers can, as Huntangler said, be bought at most boat stores. One of the few things that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sometimes, after working on the bearings, you leave a coat of grease on the bearing buddy. This along with a little grease coating on the inside of the bearing buddy "bra" (that's what they're called) makes them come off. They're held on by friction and a touch of suction from within. Try cleaning or degreasing the outside of the bearing buddy with a grease cutting cleaner and the inside of the "bra" and this might do the trick. If not, I bought a replacement set at WalMart. They're not expensive. They come in several sizes, though.
Good luck!

·
Registered
54 Posts
jms37 said:
Sometimes, after working on the bearings, you leave a coat of grease on the bearing buddy. This along with a little grease coating on the inside of the bearing buddy "bra" (that's what they're called) makes them come off. They're held on by friction and a touch of suction from within. Try cleaning or degreasing the outside of the bearing buddy with a grease cutting cleaner and the inside of the "bra" and this might do the trick. If not, I bought a replacement set at WalMart. They're not expensive. They come in several sizes, though.
Good luck!

Yeah, I'm a dipstick. I never looked at the original date from the subject post! Here I'm giving an answer to a 1 year old question. Story of my life-"A day late (a year in this case), and a dollar short"
Oh well, didn't have much more to do than shovel snow!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.