Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I took my BassCat out Sunday to see how it would run after sitting under my boat shelter since October. It started right up...I ran to my first spot and fished for about 30 minutes. Got ready to move and it wouldn't start. I checked the battery connections. My voltage was reading 12.8. I tried jumping my cranking battery from my trolling motor battery...still nothing. It just makes that funny little sound when I turn the key. After I trolled for an hour back to the ramp and got it loaded on the trailer, a friend checked the cranking battery with a hand-held tester and it tested to be ok. SO...I am thinking it my be the starter. :sad2: I have a 150 Johnson Fast-Strike. Are starters expensive and will I have trouble finding one for this motor?

:usa:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Sounds like you may a starter that isnt engaging. For future reference you may be able to strike the side of the starter to get it to start at least to get you back to the ramp. Does it spin or just make a whining noise like its locked? Starters arent cheap, but the good news is that you can install a new one yourself.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My boat is fixed. :dance01: It was the neutral safety switch. I was glad to pay the $200...was so afraid it was going to cost way more than that. Praying that it gets me through another year of tournament fishing. :praying:

:usa:

·
Registered
612 Posts
I'm glad you got your boat fixed. You should, however, make sure your battery terminals are clean and tight and almost NEVER strike the starter as you can shatter the permanent magnets in the stator. A whining noise usually means a bad high amperage connection. Such as battery connections or some bad connection on the starter or engine connection big wires. Also, a bad or maladjusted neutral switch can sometimes be diagnosed by holding the starter "on" and wiggling the control handle.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Boy, these boats and motors are fickle instruments, eh? Glad to hear you got yours all fixed up Linda. Good luck.

·
Registered
281 Posts
if you were hearing a whining or whizzing sound when you were not starting, that means your started was turning, but the drive gear was not throwing up into the flywheel. possibly that was all was wrong which is fixed by simple lubrication. if you were not hearing anything at all that would have meant that you could have had a problem with the switch in your shifter. wasn't there to hear, but from your description, i think you might have paid a bit too much for something that just needed lubed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.