Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tex had said that he would send me a chatterbait, and after some waiting from the USPS (seems that's about the only thing that they are good for anymore), I finally got the chatterbait, a WEEK after he sent it. Just to let you know why I considered this a long time.........the stuff from CastAway was sent, and I got it 2 days later.

At any rate, I got it last Thursday and being the "little kid" that I was, getting a new toy.........I just had to try it out. ;D

It was like 96* outside, humidity was in the 80% range............it was flat miserable. We did have, however, a decent little breeze coming out of the NW, which was giving a little chop to the water.

I fished the chatterbait around the bridge, and immediately realized why so many anglers were so gung-ho about this lure. It's incredible. However, I didn't catch any fish on it there, and I fished it around my fav. spot on Sloppy Floyd, which is around the stumps in that little cove, and still didn't catch anything. I did have a good bass, around 3 lbs., follow it from a stump though.

I did manage to get 2 bass, both 12" long, off a jig. There were two ladies in a boat, one was a mother and I am guessing the other was the daughter, that were watching me.

I had to pick a professional override out of my Curado............I honestly hate having that 15 lbs. bridge cable on it, but I picked it out, reeled up the excess line, and as soon as I got to where the line was tight, a fish was already on. I set the hook, much to the delight or dismay of the two women. ;D

So, I give BigTex some props for giving the chatterbait to me, and I hope to get up to Dick's in Chattanooga to get some more. :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm glad you like the bait and I'm glad it finally got there. LOL Just stay with it and it will pay off.

Might I suggest that if I was you I would go out and buy just the blades and split rings only and put them on your favorite jigs. That is what I did and I have had better luck with that than the original chatterbaits. I put them on a smaller weighted jig as well. Make sure the eye of the jig is like that of the original chatterbait so the blades you buy will work properly.

Another trick that I have picked up is I will 9 times out of 10 paint the blade black and will either leave it like that or I will add YELLOW, RED, WHITE OR PINK dots on it

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a couple of folks up here that make their own. I am going to see if they make theirs with a weed guard. As much as I use jigs, I know that if I tried to flip the one that you sent into a mess of brush, that I would either break it off, or have to go chase after it.

I honestly thing that having that blade up there will really get some fish mad, especially when you put that shimmy in front of their noses.

I am hoping to get out and test it on the Rocky Mountain PFA soon. I have a friend that said that we would hit it. He doesn't bass fish, but he said that he would go for crappies, and I could do my bass thing. There are some edges around the timber that the chatterbait would excel on, and there are a couple of rock humps and points that I wanna fish it around.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That sounds great.

In those pictures that I posted, there is a weedguard on it and it has saved my lure on more than one occasion. LOL

·
Premium Member
17,927 Posts
I had tried to reply to this when I was having problems posting on here.

I have a few of the Gamblers that I been fishing with , BUT I finaly got 2 of the original ChatterBaits. Havent tried them out yet though.

I think the weed guard may be a good idea, cause we know these things arent to ' weed ' friendly .

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's the truth! They aren't too rock friendly or wood friendly either. I was fishing it around a rock pile the other day, and had I not been smart enough not to set the hook, I would have lost mine. I walked to where it was hung up, and jerked hard the way it had came into the rocks, and it came free. 8)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Its cool you got to set the hook in front of people. I love when that happends, you just need to look professional though, which I usually pull a Ike. I got a 4 pounder off a stump outside a beach the other week, there was like 50 people there, it was the coolest moment I had on that lake in a while lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts