Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another jig building question. I use do-it molds and have made many jigs. I have always used powder paint to paint the heads and then cure them in a toaster oven. (neat little setup in the basement) I then use a small drill bit to hand twist the excess paint out of the weedguard hole and epoxy the weedguards in. I fish very rocky reservoirs and my paint still chips. I think it may be inevitable, but would like to know if there is an easier/faster way to paint jigs.

If powder paint is the way to go......I have no problems sticking with it.

·
Registered
809 Posts
If you want more indistructable paint jobs on your jigs, use ppg automotive paint then add a top coat of clear 30 minute eppoxy and then bake your jigs in an oven, not a toaster oven as toaster ovens get hot spots in them and will cause paint tits, for 3 to 4 hours at 300 degrees. You will be amazed at how tough this holds up against the rocks.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hawg, I have tried painting epoxy and cannot get it figured out. Do you thin it to make it easier to apply? every time I have tried it always seem too thick to paint on a thin coat.

Also, for powder paint do you use the same curing process? I use less heat that is why I ask.
thanks

·
Registered
13,775 Posts
I don't fish rock much, so durability on my homemade jigs has not been an issue...I do the powder paint. Once the paint has dried well, I hand brush on a coat of KlearCoat and it suits my purpose...I really can't say how great that method would hold up to a lot of heavy rock abuse however.

I typically lose a jig before it gets beat up too much to use. Either from hangups, or more often than not, from a Pike or Musky devouring it.

I do have some jigs (not my own) that have some paint chipped off them that I still use. I've never found the odd small chip or two on a jig make any difference in it's ability to attract fish. I have a couple of Chatterbaits with large blades on them that just beat the head to death. There is basically no paint left on the front part of the jig/chatterbait and it still works fine as far as attracting fish.

In my opinion the skirt and the trailer are what the Bass are keying on (maybe they see the eyes) and a small little chip here and there goes by unnoticed...But like I said, I don't fish rock much, so take my opinion for whatever it's worth.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Are you selling those jigs or are you way too picky?

I plan on the life expectancy of my jigs to be 1 1/2 casts. That is I get them back the first time and half way back the second time. Anything more than that is free.

So I don't pay any attention to paint chipping. In fact I fished for years using jigs that had no paint because when I started making jigs even the ones in the shops didn't have painted heads.

·
Premium Member
3,083 Posts
I also use powder paint. I don't cure mine though. I took a bunch I had on a fishing trip and fished nothing but rocks. By the time my jig was no longer usable, the paint still hadn't chipped off.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I make them for myself......may sell a few to buddies, but that is it. I still fish with them when the paint is chipped, and it is no big deal to me, just curious if there is another method that is just as easy to do. since I started making my jigs I have always made them the same way and I know there's more than one way to skin a cat. Just getting ideas. thanks guys!! :thumbup01:

·
Registered
13,775 Posts
A huge percentage of the reason I do mine the way I do is it is simple, and easy for me to do with the set up I have. I don't have a "shop area", all set up with ventilation, I don't own any air brush apparatus yet, etc, etc...Plus, I don't make large amounts of them, so in the grand scheme of things, this method simply works best for me and my situation.

And I agree dchance, there's more than one way to skin a cat, and I'm positive there are other methods better than mine and most likely provide better results. But again, this just happens tobe what I'm comfortable with and it suits its purpose for me.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mo that is just like my situation. I really like my jigs and will probably continue to do it the way I am doing it. :D

·
Registered
194 Posts
I only use powder coat, then bake them at 350 F for 25 minutes. I put them in the oven in a clamp with the hook down, so if any paint runs, it goes down the hook shank. Works great for me. I have slammed them on my driveway and they just dented, but didn't chip. I also fish very rocky lakes with little vegetation.

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
I have powder coated some jigs before and used on rocks and held up good,I do cure them but with a propane torch with a qiuck pass thru then done and let cool.Becare with small jigs like for crappie you have to be fast or lead will melt off.Have used jig paint also and like just as good but,it takes longer to dry and if using around rocks a lot seems to hold up better I think.

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
Jig Man said:
Are you selling those jigs or are you way too picky?

I plan on the life expectancy of my jigs to be 1 1/2 casts. That is I get them back the first time and half way back the second time. Anything more than that is free.

So I don't pay any attention to paint chipping. In fact I fished for years using jigs that had no paint because when I started making jigs even the ones in the shops didn't have painted heads.

Agreed 100 %. Jigs are just like crankbaits. There are some good ones and there are some that are not. When I've rubbed the paint off the head it's just about broke in.

No paint, even epoxy will last Derek. The only thing I try to avoid is shiny lead, sometimes.............

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.