Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
BEST is a term i try to stay away from. In general i would say a medium action, extra fast tip rod SUCH AS a Dobyns 703 spinning rod and a quality reel such as the Daiwa Procyon, or Ballistic series would be a good start. I would pair it up with 10lb power pro and you should be able to launch those senkos far more than a few feet.
Just my .02
Brandon

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Are you throwing them on a bare hook? If so I'd recommend the same line with a 6.5' medium action rod or maybe even a medium light depending on the manufacturer and a 2500 series reel. I'd take one shopping with me and some line and tie it to the end of various rods to see which ones load up with that bitty amount of weight. If the rod is too stiff you won't get any help out of it on the cast.

I had to go to a ML Bronzeback to get the distance I wanted out of a 1/8 oz grub on a baitcaster.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Basslover, you pose an interesting question. Most of throw 5" or larger worm laden with salt and headed by a sinker of one type of another. A naked 3" worm on a bare hook with no tungsten? Good question.

I would go with a light power or a medium light power at most. Alex can set you up with a great rod. I have one of his 7' light power rods that is the real deal. You can pay more - and not get any more - with a Loomis Trout and Panfish UL that would also fill this bill.

Get a light reel. The Shimano Stradic Cl4 Microline is a great little reel that is really the bomb for light tackle. I have one and I love it to death. You can load it up either with PowerPro Microline or my new fave: Nanofil. The Nanofil in particular is really castable. You will get a ton of distance from the Nanofil over virtually every other line.

If you go with a heavier rig, you just will not get the distance you want on your casts. The physics of the system are the limited by such light terminal tackle and bait. One other thing you may with to consider is adding a wee bit of tungsten above the worm. Even the addition of a 1/16 oz weight will help you with casting distance.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
The 3" stickbait is a smallie magnet on the rivers around Roanoke, Va. I use the same combo as I do on lakes, though- a 6'6" MH spinning rod and a mid-range reel with 8# mono or fluoro. The suggestion of braid is a good one because of the extra strength but it can mess with the action since it floats more than most monos and fluoro. I usually just thread it wacky rigged on a 1/0 ewg or offset worm hook. It'll get hung up more, but the wacky rig has more action on a bait that small. Good luck, man. Yo'll get some very experienced folks helping ou on here. :thumbup01:

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Toad said:
The suggestion of braid is a good one because of the extra strength but it can mess with the action since it floats more than most monos and fluoro.
Toad, i mentioned braid because he wanted distance. I have yet to find anything that outdistances braid, especially small diameter braid, on a cast. If you go with the Spiderwire Fluorobraid it will sink, all though with a 3 inch senko i doubt very much that 10lb power pro will float very high in the water. I fish braided line for most of my applications, and even with weightless 4inch finesse worms it sinks just fine.

Brandon

·
Registered
536 Posts
I'd go for braid as well. Braid can help it sink even slower. The only downfall I get is when going weightless in the wind. I use the six inch senko style baits and the current/wind just floats it away. I almost bought some 3" ones on clearance, but turned them down. I have too much stuff already!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I personally have an Abu Garcia Vendetta rod 6'9" med/light xtra fast with an Abu Garcia Orra S reel with 10lb mono and i can cast it just as far as any of my other rods. But, I think anything 6'6"+ in a med or med/light would work great. Play with your line choice. Some people can do better with one better than other. Personally I hate Flourocarbon, others love it. And its going to depend on your budget too. But, the line is a big part of your casting in my opinion!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts