Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would have to say it is lake Falcon or Lake Amistad but I am leaning on lake Falcon. I just watched a TV show called Bass Champs. Has anyone ever seen it? Their website is www.basschamps.com anyway, they held a 2 day tournament there and day 1 took more then 34lbs to win and day 2 was another day over 30lbs to win that day with 37.98 to win exactly. Unbelieveable. These where not bedding fish folks. These where caught on crankbaits primarily and flippimg worms in June. http://www.basschampsresults.com/results/results.cfm?tournament_id=20&type=team

Take a look at this site for fishing reports: http://www.tackleandrods.com/lake/flash.htm Man I could kick myself for not fishing that lake while I lived in Texas. Why the heck did I move out here to Florida? haha. There isn't a lake in Florida that can compete with this lake. Sorry but I have been around this state long enough and seldom see or hear about days where the top 5 fish are over 30lbs. Typically we only hear this during the Spawn. How about during august? or September? Nope.

What do you all think of this lake? What other lake would you say is the top lake in the country and why?

·
Registered
318 Posts
AMistad would get my vote. I haev fished there more dyas than I woudl like to admit. If it wasn't so far of the beaten path it would have an even better rep. than it does...but then the it woudl take a pounding like Fork never saw.

cbs

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
Best of anything becomes a real subjective topic of one opinion verse another.
For example lake Amistad is 1/2 Texas and 1/2 Mexico, which half is the best lake? The other issue becomes what type of bass, LMB, SMB, Spotted bass, FLMB and now do we add Texas genetic strain LMB ?
It's not uncommon during the pre spawn and spawning periods for lakes to produce 30 to 40 lbs one day 5 fish limits in California, it happens every week from now until March at several lakes and the Sacramento Delta. I can't even figure out what the best lake is in my own state, let alone the entire country!My favorite lake for giant bass is lake Casitas, as it produces 5 bass limits exceeding 60 lbs every few years. Best lake in Ca for numbers may be lake Shasta, for 25 to 30 lbs limits maybe Clear lake or the Sac. Delta. Best in our country, thats a tough question!
Tom

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tom, most of the akes in the south can boast 30lb stringers in the spawn. But to me that is not an indicator of a great lake. To me that is shooting fish in a barrell because all of those fish are caught while sight fishing and when they are locked on a bed.

The fact that Lake Falcon produced 37lbs in June and based on that fishing report link in my first post, another 39lb stringer in August, tells me plenty about that lake.

·
Registered
635 Posts
>:D >:D 30+lbs in August, that's a good day on the water! I don't know about lake 2 lake, but if I hit the lotto(highly unlikely since I never play), my butt will be in Alabama the whole first year. They have more awesome lakes than you can shake a stick at. I always wondered, during my short stay there, though, why God made such pretty country and filled it with so many stupid people. ??? ::) But for awesome fishin', that's my vote.

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
KeithsCatch said:
Tom, most of the akes in the south can boast 30lb stringers in the spawn. But to me that is not an indicator of a great lake. To me that is shooting fish in a barrell because all of those fish are caught while sight fishing and when they are locked on a bed.

The fact that Lake Falcon produced 37lbs in June and based on that fishing report link in my first post, another 39lb stringer in August, tells me plenty about that lake.
If the August was a day event, not a night event, then those are indeed impressive weights. The weights are what it takes to win most of our summer night events. Birmingham AL was voted the bass capital by BASS members for good reason. It's hard to top Texas or CA for big fish.
Tom

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I have fished both Texas and Cali. and I like them both. Cali was harder for me to learn because of the pressure that was put on the lakes.(The smaller public lakes around Camp Pendleton) You had best know how to finnesse fish. Texas to me was power fishing at it best.

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
imonembad said:
I have fished both Texas and Cali. and I like them both. Cali was harder for me to learn because of the pressure that was put on the lakes.(The smaller public lakes around Camp Pendleton) You had best know how to finnesse fish. Texas to me was power fishing at it best.
When get up to northern california, the "Delta" area where flipping was invented and popularized by Dee Thomas, then you have power fishing at it's best.
Tom

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I was stationed at Mare Island Navel Ship yard for two and a half years. Inever had the means to fish the delta something I regret daily I went to clear lake once with a bunch of brethren jar heads and we spent the weekend in jail instead of fishing. A life long regret for more reasons than one. Seems clear lake has a strict drunk in public policy, which I fully understand and have paid in full several times over now.

·
Registered
318 Posts
oldschool said:
Best of anything becomes a real subjective topic of one opinion verse another.
For example lake Amistad is 1/2 Texas and 1/2 Mexico, which half is the best lake? The other issue becomes what type of bass, LMB, SMB, Spotted bass, FLMB and now do we add Texas genetic strain LMB ?
It's not uncommon during the pre spawn and spawning periods for lakes to produce 30 to 40 lbs one day 5 fish limits in California, it happens every week from now until March at several lakes and the Sacramento Delta. I can't even figure out what the best lake is in my own state, let alone the entire country!My favorite lake for giant bass is lake Casitas, as it produces 5 bass limits exceeding 60 lbs every few years. Best lake in Ca for numbers may be lake Shasta, for 25 to 30 lbs limits maybe Clear lake or the Sac. Delta. Best in our country, thats a tough question!
Tom
Well as for which side of Amistad, there is no doubt that the Mexican side is better MUCH of the year...except in the spawn, mainly because the north shoreline is in the US.

As for 30-40 fish days, I am going to throw another lake into the mix, one most of you have never heard of: Fayette County Res. near La Grange, TX. 30-40 fish days can heappen ANY day of the year with an average fish of about 3 pounds! How do I know? I guided there for 20 some years and have kept the records to prove it. if I could, I would move there is a second and retire on that lake.

cbs

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
The late Doug "Skinny" Harris, who in my opinion tied the best hair jigs in the country, God rest his sole, would agree with you. Made several trips to fish Texas lakes, have not fished Amistad. The point is every state with good bass fishing can make the claim of catching 30 to 40 fish days with bass averaging 2 to 3 lbs. Which lake is best at any given time is anyones best guess. How many lakes in the US can produce 60 lb., 5 bass limits? The answer is only a hand full and I do not consider any of them as being "the best" bass fishing lake, they are tough most of the time, but occasionally they are phenomenal.
Tom

1 - 11 of 11 Posts