Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
suspending jerkbait, like a rogue or lc pointer. jerk jerk pause......and wait 30 seconds to a minute or so between pauses and repeat. :thumbup01:

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
At 39.4 degrees water becomes less due very high DO concentrations, too high to support largemouth bass survival. Look for deeper warmer water. It's time to fish with your electronics to locate bass in the deeper water structure areas.
Remember bass don't live on the surface where you are measuring the cold water temperatures. Ounce you locate bass or baitfish fish lures that stay in front of the basses nose, they aren't going to chase somedown in extremely cold water.
The basses metabolism is very low, they don't need to eat very often.
Tom

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was wondering the same thing i went out two days ago and there was ice still on the water in places on neely henry and the main river water temp was 36.9 and i was shocked im 26 years old and have been fishing for several years and i have never seen the main river water that cold so i tried a small jig and crank bait on a slow pause retrieve and i didnt even get a smell so maybe this 50 degree weather will warm it up a few degrees.

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
178bee said:
So where would you begin to look for bass at, tried areas we had been catching them at but nothing??
What lake? be glad to look at a map and point out a few places. If you are uncomfortable disclosing where you fish, then; start at the dam and fish the first major point or find some diving birds that are feeding and fish any structure nearby or spoon the bait fish the birds are working on.
Tom

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
178bee said:
Wheeler Lake in north alabama.
Browns Ferry power plant and power line islands. 3/4 oz structure spoons; chrome/blue back with chartruse/white feathered owner treble. Also fish the rip rap with a casting jig; 1/2 to 3/4 oz football, purple/brown with red/brown trailer.
Tom

·
Registered
13,775 Posts
oldschool said:
178bee said:
Wheeler Lake in north alabama.
Browns Ferry power plant and power line islands. 3/4 oz structure spoons; chrome/blue back with chartruse/white feathered owner treble. Also fish the rip rap with a casting jig; 1/2 to 3/4 oz football, purple/brown with red/brown trailer.
Tom
Are you chasing Largemouth or Smallmouth?

While you're by the power plant, I would head across the river and check around Mallard Creek as well. The locals claim you can use topwaters all year long around the nuclear plant.
And as you're probably aware, once you get below Browns Ferry you're in Smallmouth country.

·
Registered
13,775 Posts
I would chase Smallies then...
During the Winter months, 'brownie' bass will found on the steepest banks of the main lake and generally at a depth of 20-25 feet where there is rock slide residue. These can be found by observing the bluffs for evidence of breakaway areas and by making a few slow passes with the depth finder. small crank plugs and small jigs. "Small' is important here, in that he simply will not take a large lure unless he is a correspondingly 'large' Smallmouth. Both lures are best in darker colors.

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
Find the bait, the bass will be close by. High pressued areas require finesse presentations; 5 to 6lb mono or FC drop shot or dart jig, 3" to 4" Basstrix Bait Fry or Flashtrix minnows and 5" Roboworms in Shad patterns could pick up some deeper bass the other boats are missing.
Take your time and meter fish before your wasting time.
Tom

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok today was terrible only caught 2 catfish and a big shad, out of 58 boats there were 3 limits and took 5 pounds to get money. Cant wait until the water warms up.

·
Registered
13,775 Posts
It's not just the water temp that should dictate what you toss.....When it's all said and done, you have to choose the lure that's most appropriate for "where" you find the fish in these temps.
As a few have said, spend some time scouting with your electronics....find the bait, and somewhere not too far away, you should find some bass keeping an eye on the bait.

·
Registered
109 Posts
IN GENERAL! The almighty Lipless Crankbait... If you fish ledges or Deep Water.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts