Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a fan of Shimano for years, however Daiwa revolutionized free spools with their X103's 5 years ago. Daiwa's new Team Daiwa Advantage series redefines value with state of the art drags and components for under $100. I fished the new Daiwa reels today and they are excellent. Also fished the Ardent and was not impressed with the weight or drag system.
Tom

G

·
I like Shimano also but what they did by raising the cost of the Curado by $100 almost burns me :mad: Anyway, I bought a BPS Pro Qualifier reel last weekend and love this reel. They are selling this reel for $79.95 right now and for that money I have never seen a better reel.

It has 7 bearings and casts quite easily even better then my Curado.

·
Registered
419 Posts
When I got back into fishing, I was limited on the funding so I started real cheep. However, I have upgraded no into the "not as cheep" gear. I have been impressed with the two Pennacle reals I purchased at Wally-World. They ran $79.00 each and are extremely smooth. They have held up very well and everyone who has picked them up and fished with them has been impressed. I would buy some more and will probably do so in the next few weeks unless the Bait Monkey eats my lunch at BPS when I head up there at the end of the month. Could be that I get a couple there instead. What evil lurks in the heart of that ole Bait Monkey?? Only Master Charge knows for sure!! >:D >:D

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is that old saying; you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink? The new 2007 Team Daiwa Advantage is a better reel than the Curado D at 1/2 the price, $99.00
Tom

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mike McKay said:
Pinnacle Matrix II

nuff' said
manufcaturer of; Quantum (ZEBCO), Plueger ( Okuma), Pinneacle (Okuma), BPS (Okuma), Cabala's (Okuma), all made in China or S. Korea. Shimano and Daiwa, made in Japan with higher quality metals.
Tom

·
Banned
539 Posts
oldschool said:
Mike McKay said:
Pinnacle Matrix II

nuff' said
manufcaturer of; Quantum (ZEBCO), Plueger ( Okuma), Pinneacle (Okuma), BPS (Okuma), all made in China.
Tom
I got a couple of those as well, very smooth and cast a mile. I have to be real careful and remember to thumb or I get that professional overrun, I have a hard time adjusting the brake. Anyone got suggestions

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I used to love the TD Dawias but they puked up pinion gears like it was cool and my suplier told me she was having a harder time trying to locate replacements.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Right now my best reel is a Shimano Scorpion mg. (It's the Japanese version of the Chronarch mg.) Got it NIB on ebay for 175. That thur is one sweet reel.

G

·
oldschool said:
Mike McKay said:
Pinnacle Matrix II

nuff' said
manufcaturer of; Quantum (ZEBCO), Plueger ( Okuma), Pinneacle (Okuma), BPS (Okuma), Cabala's (Okuma), all made in China or S. Korea. Shimano and Daiwa, made in Japan with higher quality metals.
Tom
Not so, at least not all of their models. I just spoke to customer service at Daiwa about the Capricorn reel that Dick's sells. In my discussion I learned that many of the Daiwa reels today are in fact made in Korea, Taiwan and Tailand. I asked him specifically about the TD Advantage reels and he said none of those are made in Japan. They are made in Taiwan. He said because it is cheaper to have them made there. He did say that they are all engineered in Japan but only their top of the line reels are actually made in their Japan facilities.

Just an FYI for those who might want to know.

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Manufactured means the components are machined in those countries verses assembled there. Diawa and Shimano engineers and manufactures their components in Japan to the best of my knowledge and off sets the assembly in S.Korea, Taiwan and Tailand. This is how they keep the quality controlled and take advantage of cheap labor.
Tom

·
Registered
635 Posts
I've been eyeballing Daiwa reels for awhile, but haven't bought any. A friend of mine says they are not worth the money, but I have to think they are pretty good for so many people to compare them to shimano. What's yall's take?

·
Banned
539 Posts
I have tried a few, but have always been a Abu guy. I just bought several Revo's - Fit and feel are good, I will try and field test them this weekend, but the weather is supposed to be poor. ( but of course it the weekend)

·
Registered
472 Posts
Just got a Shimano Citica...Been throwin it around the yrd since all the water around here is still ice and i like it a lot for $119

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
hi steel basser said:
I've been eyeballing Daiwa reels for awhile, but haven't bought any. A friend of mine says they are not worth the money, but I have to think they are pretty good for so many people to compare them to shimano. What's yall's take?
I purchased a diawa s series last year and love it of course they don't make that model any more so thiswiner i purchased an X series diawa but sad to say haven't had the urge to cast it in the snow yet but getting close.
bought them both from e-bay used if u watch i paid less than 100$ for each of them.
later
rich

·
Registered
537 Posts
KeithsCatch said:
I like Shimano also but what they did by raising the cost of the Curado by $100 almost burns me :mad: Anyway, I bought a BPS Pro Qualifier reel last weekend and love this reel. They are selling this reel for $79.95 right now and for that money I have never seen a better reel.

It has 7 bearings and casts quite easily even better then my Curado.
You must have a defective Curado if you think a BPS Pro Q is better. 7 bearings don't mean squat if they are not up to par. Shimano uses higher quality bearings than the competitors which gives them quite a bit smoother feel that a reel with twice the bearings using a standard SS bearing. The Curado didn't go up $100, it went up $40 at my local proshop from the 200B and only $20 from the 200BSF. Because the new Curado D is a SF reel, they are only $20 higher than the previous model. Last Year $149 this year $169. I still like the ole green ones better so if you want to part with yours just say the word and I'll be more than happy to buy it off of you ;)

G

·
I like the green Curado I have and when I bought them they only cost $100-$119. Now the Citica is the same price as the old Curado which is a lessor reel then the Curado. That is why I said they went up $100. The new ones are almost $200 which is $100 from when I bought some.

Anyway, the BPS Pro Qualifier reel I have is very nice. I can cast it as far as I could any reel that I have ever owned.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I replaced one of my reels the other day and learned a valuable leson. Never replace a reel unless you are ready to replace all of them. Everything else feel like junk now.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Daiwa Advantage Super Tuned. For the 129.00 I paid for it at Sports Authority, this reel gets you ALLOT of great features for not allot of $$$...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts