Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
It seems to me that smaller bass will run with a lure faster than larger bass. I don't know why. (that applies to most of my limited knowledge) :) However, it is always a good policy to throw back to spots that just produced a fish.

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
That's true. I believe the reason is the smaller bass doesn't conserve energy like a more mature bass. However, I've had some big bass have to take off with the meal because of being harrassed by other big bass. A couple of weeks ago I couldn't reel fast enough on a bite, the line staying slack no matter what, a bass coming straight to the boat. That convinced me to start using that 7:1 reel more. When they got close I could see at least five 4#ers chasing my 5#er (all guess weights, of course). I didn't want the fish going under the boat so decided to set the hook right there by the boat and yanked the spinnerbait out of its mouth. It was just one of those helpless situations. I did like steel basser wrote, kept fishing for those bass in the same spot, caught one of them, a 4-3. That day it was one here, one there, some tough fishing. Sometimes a wad of bass in that situation can be hauled up, but not when they all come up and take a good look at me like that.

Jim

21 - 23 of 23 Posts