Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

Bass Fishing Magazines

9K views 45 replies 29 participants last post by  emo476 
#1 ·
#3 ·
BassWest magazine was very good initially, then went through several ownership and editor changes. Today the content is well written, however biased toward BassWestUsa (the new owner) and their BassWestDepot on line tackle store. The articles are always written around the products they are selling and that is good business. Good state of the art articles...just limited perspective.
Tom

#9 ·
I never pay even close to full price for magazines. I shop for deals on EBay that are so cheap it's plum silly. I think my BASS is paid up to 2012 for $11. Bassin' is good till 2009, a $6 deal for two years. There are other magazine clearinghouses on the web similar to those on EBay. They stack up, unread, until winter.

Jim

#10 ·
Ouachita said:
I never pay even close to full price for magazines. I shop for deals on EBay that are so cheap it's plum silly. I think my BASS is paid up to 2012 for $11. Bassin' is good till 2009, a $6 deal for two years. There are other magazine clearinghouses on the web similar to those on EBay. They stack up, unread, until winter.

Jim
I shop for my mags the same place Jim ;) I think my BASS is good till 2013 now lol

#15 ·
Speaking of magazines, i went to yard sales with my mother this morning and i found a 1977 Abu Garcia Fishing Annual magazine. I paid a whole nickel for it lol :thumbup01:
Another addition to my ever growing collection of fishing mags :clap:

#16 ·
Here's a current example of deals I found this morning. I was about to post this then my cable connection died all day until now. I think the bidding was running for 4 more hurs then, so it might be over with. Yuo just have to keep watching. If you don't want to have to join BASS to get the magazine, $6 will get them for a year at http://discountmagazines.com/v2/mag_cat_a_l_1.php Bassin' same price. Some sellers charge 99 cents a year, plus $5 shipping. The main clearinghouses don't bill customers for shipping, you you are still paying $6 for the magazine delivered, the seller keeping $4 per subscription. No wonder there's so many magazine sales outfits on the web! Easy money. Sellers offering mags at 50% off cover price are making a killing if they can grab enough surplus subscriptions.

I've been getting Sports Afield, Outdoor Sports, etc for decades free. I clicked on a deal somewhere. Occasionally they send a letter with a mag saying they do that because of the value of circulating their advertisements. Joining some subscription type fishing boards will get those free mags coming to you as long as you are paid up. Some offer mag deals as good as mag stores online, the profit helping to support the site.

Jim

#17 ·
I was wondering if BassWest is focused around westcoast fishing and pertains to only California such fishing techniques i fish in new england and although I'm always interested in every type of bass fishing across the country i don't wanna subscribe to a magazine that is just about California fishing

Adam

#18 ·
I'm a huge bass magazine junkie and I understand your thoughts and concerns... however.... just think though... even if it is only cali bass fishing... you could be one of the first on the east coast to hear the latest west coast techniques... imagine if you were subscribing a few years ago and you were one of the first on the east coast to read about drop shotting ;)

G
#20 ·
Not to toss a wet towel on a thread or anything But I am so magazined out that I wouldn't care if I ever got another printed magazine ever again. You see I am a converted Internet guy and will never be a hard copy magazine guy again. I just don't like magazines laying around cluttering up things. I used to be members of most major fishing mags and found that they just filled up boxes and got to be a real problem. It is the same reason I will never ever subscribe to a newspaper either. They just end up laying around the house causing me to have to throw out more and more stuff. It is just not worth the hassle.

Give me the Internet any day. Of course I work for an online news site and all of my info comes from the web now a days, and I couldn't be happier :thumbup01:

#21 ·
well you're more than welcome to send all your magazines :Dto me I'm always looking for good reading i recently dug out a box of all my dads old BASS magazines from the 80s and find myself using all the information i can absorb. sometimes its nice to take a step back from all the new crazes in fishing and go back to some pr oven techniques. For example i was rummaging through his tackle box and have been using a bait that resembles chatterbait for years now, it consists of a spinnerbait body but rather than have spinning blades above it it has a single fixed blade that sat under the skirt and vibrated instead of spinning.

#22 ·
Hmmmm now would that be a Hawaian Wiggler or maybe a Snagless Sally. No matter just an interesting thought " Mr. Emcee I can name that old lure in 2 poorly constructed clues and thats because I haven't had a life since I discovered fishing in 1954" Cool stuff.

The coment on the old Abu fishing annuals brings back memories. Both Abu and Sports Afield put out Fishing Annuals that appeared as if by magic each year in Feb. or Mar. and each year I found my self treaking to the local magizine outlets every delivery day until I would have both in my hot little hands and then it was off to home and I would devour them. Some pretty good reads in both.

I was excited to see Fishing Facts in the links and have already visited the site "thanks for that one for sure" I used to get that back in the days when a lad named George Pazik owned it and he had some young wippersnappers named Linder writing for him. Still have my Lunkers Love Night Crawlers around here some where.

But alas, while I might subscribe to a magazine like that or buy an In Fisherman to kill a flight delay I too now get much of my info from the net, just no room. Might weaken for a Fishing Facts though.

#23 ·
:clap: Bassin mag. is one of the best ones out there in my opion I keep a regular suscribtion and another good one is bassmasters,I usualy stay signed up for a 3 year deal infisherman is ok but if your a bass fishermen I think you will be disapointed just because they cover to much on other species like muskies pike and such just not enough on bass fishing for me but I am primairly a bass fishermen if you are into all of those others then you will proably enjoy it theres another one out there they call themselves hawgs mag.and they focuss on bass alone they are kinda hard to find but a decent mag.but like i mentioned the first to magizines are my two favs :champion: :clap:.now bassin holds there own little fishing tournament it was pretty good and then they change there way of determing the finalest they get a paid trip to texas for there big bass tournament for cash and a new bass boat had a chanch to go to finals but work wouldnt allow it. :skunked: :cussin:

#24 ·
I agree those are my two faves too. I especially love Bassmaster! My collection of them, which ranges back to the late 60s, is my pride and joy. I like in-fisherman too. When they do talk about bass the info they share is exceptional but yes I agree with you they do cover too many other species.

#26 ·
Here is another one http://www.gameandfishmag.com/ .....
I get the Kentucky mag. I don't know how it is for other state's but I find this magazine to be very informative. I'm not much of a hunter but this always has great info on Bass fishing in my state. I have found out about a lot of smaller lakes and reservoirs from this mag that I might not of otherwise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.